BBQ Island Construction Questions

Sep 2, 2015
sacramento
Spring is around the corner and planning on making a 12 foot straight island. I plan on using 20 gauge studs, trex footing, Durock, and porcelain tile countertop. The island will be on my patio concrete, which as a very gradual slope.
Here are my questions:

1. What are the pros and cons of covering the bottom of the frame with Durock? I've watched the BBQ coach videos and it doesn't appear that they cover the bottom frame? Is there a general consensus on this?

2. Can I use two sheets of 1/2 Durock bonded together as my countertop and then just tile over it?

3. The island is going to be 12 feet long. Should I make it in sections (3 x 4ft sections) and then connect them together like BBQ coach, or should I just lay down the 10ft tracks and just work from one side to the other installing studs as necessary?

Thanks.

Doing the bottom in dura rock keeps out critters. That's about it. I did my bottom in dura rock and have a tree floor above that. Either way works.

Yes you can use double layers of durarock Just remember to install adequate cross bracing. 12 to 14 inches on center at most to reduce flex

Making them in sections is singinifantly simpler to construct and significantly more dificult to level. Twelve feet is long. How much out of level are you going to be.

Making one unit allows you to built it to conform to the slope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.