Pool opening : this is the question:To shock or not to shock

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Hi all,
My pool last season was run stricktly by the BBB method. At the end of the season (Oct 08) I closed it with shocking, and soon it will be reopened. Following the advice of chemgeek and waterbear, I've adopted this "shocking rule of thumb": FC higher than 0.5? Shock! No? Don't shock! Should I follow this rule on pool opening, or should I shock no matter what?

BBB is all about testing and interpreting the results and then knowing what to do about it,

Your test results will give you the best indicator of how you should open......that and the visual condition of your water.

I think you mean a CC higher than .5 you should shock. That's one of the criteria. Cloudy water, and FC that won't hold, are two other indicators.

What are your test results?

Shocking on opening is not always a requirement, it depends on your test results.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think you mean a CC higher than .5 you should shock. That's one of the criteria. Cloudy water, and FC that won't hold, are two other indicators.
What are your test results?
Shocking on opening is not always a requirement, it depends on your test results.
Oops. I meant CC, of course. I haven't opened yet. Just getting mentally ready... So far water's looking clear but I haven't tested yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.