coping - wide vs. narrow

dai_vu

Jan 10, 2016
Mountain View, CA
Trying to decide between a wide coping (24" wide) vs. a narrow coping (4" wide). My pool deck will be travertine paver (versaille pattern) and the coping will also be travertine.

Because I have a kidney-shaped pool, my PB is strongly recommending that I go with the narrow coping. He says wide coping only looks good on straight edge pool.

Do others have any thoughts/experience on this? Appreciate any help/guidance!

Using wide coping on anything with much of a curve is going to give it a faceted look and will require a lot of wedge cuts.

I'm doing 24x24 coping on mine but I only have a very large radius curve which won't cause much issue. With kidney shaped I don't think I would do anything wider than 12"

I'm only giving my opinion based on my idea of the aesthetics rather than any hardcore rule of thumb.
I think smaller is better to accentuate the kidney shape..... too large and it will overwhelm the pool.

Go smaller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.