Pump consolidation and SWG

Feb 2, 2016
California
Hi,
Here is a picture of my current setup.

IMG_0428.jpg

I installed the Hayward Tristar VS pump last week. I got a robotic cleaner today. I have now turned off the circuit breaker for the high pressure pump. The third pump is for the "water fall" - it's just a small bar type that is on the back of a plant-a-box. The ball valve is in the fully closed position, but the amount of water it lets through is the right amount for the water fall. My plan is to consolidate everything to be run off the new VS pump. We have never used the water fall to date (only owner the house 3 months) but could see turning it on occasionally when friends are over. My intention is to install a DE filter along with an SWG before summer.

I had the water tested the other week by a pool shop and the CYA (150ppm) and CH (450ppm) was high so my thinking is when I convert to SWG, I would also drain the pool about 75%. I wanted to solicit some feedback on how to consolidate the plumbing. This was what I'm currently thinking.

1. Cap the high pressure outlet (Outlet 3 in photo) at the pump area and also install some sort of cap on the high pressure fitting in the pool so that the line will not contain any water.
2. Use a 3-way diverter to combine the two inlet pipes and route it to the VS pump.
3. Use a 3-way diverter to diverge the water through Outlets 1 & 2.
4. Use a 3-way diverter for the water fall.

Any feedback and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

I agree with removing the booster pump and capping off the line, but I'd leave the waterfall pump as is.

I see no advantage to running the water fall off your new VS pump. In fact, if anything, it will be a disadvantage unless you have some type of automation. The waterfall will most likely require you to increase the pump speed every time you want to use it. Notice how in your current set up the water fall pump does not push water through your filter, in my mind that is exactly what you want.

With a SWG and a VS pump, you'll be able to run your pump at a pretty low RPM which will be quiet and cheap.

I like the idea of new DE filter. Get the biggest one you can and you will only have to clean it once or twice a year.

If you do that you'll not have to screw with adding any valves.

Jim R.

Ok, I'll leave the water fall pump alone. When you say to get the biggest DE filter I can, I'm not sure I understand why. I'm running the VS pump at 1350 rpm which is about 125 watts for 24 hours a day. So i thought that by reducing the flow rate through the filter and increasing the duration, I could effectively run the smallest filter - DE2420. What would be the correct way to size the filter based on the way I'm running the pump?

Thanks,
Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.