Chandler AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Trying to help my daughter decide how to proceed with replacing/fixing her seized pool pump.

Current pump:
Wet end resembles a MaxFlo (looking at the strainer cover)(looks original to pool)
Motor is a Northstar HP1.5 SF1.6 (a rebuild that came with the house when she bought it 1 year ago)

Pool 13,000 gallon w/ attached spill over spa
4 returns, waterfall, slide, suction side cleaner, 1 skimmer (main drain plumbed through skimmer housing)
This pump filters and powers the entire system, except for the spa jets which are on a separate pump.
Hayward sand filter - it's either an S210S or S244S (with a slide valve)
Jandy heater w/ bypass valve

I do understand the pros/cons of single speed, 2 speed and VS equipment - and the price differences. I believe my options are as follows...

1 - Replace only the motor with same HP and SF (including new shaft seal)
2 - Install new 2 speed pump
3- Install new VS pump

Location - Queen Creek, AZ
Electric rate tops out at just under $0.14/kWh (summer peak)
Pump run times have been 8 hours summer, 4 hours winter (will be working on reducing these)
Attempting to get her to embrace the TFP method (but only part way there - :hammer:)

What I'm asking for is suggestions for the 3 options listed, given her electric rates. And if the present wet end is a MaxFlo, is the Northstar motor an appropriate replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Between 1 & 2 there is the option of just replacing the motor with a two speed motor and using the same wet end. Sometimes it can be a bit cheaper than a new pump plus no plumbing changes.

Thanks Mark!

I didn't even think of that. Would the 2 speed have to be rated the same as the existing motor (when new is running on high speed)?

Also, there is only one timer in the sub-panel - with space for another. Would I have to add a second timer to allow the motor to automatically work on both speeds?

Any specific motor recommendations?

Yes, I'd rather not have to do any plumbing as there is little to no room on the suction side between the Jandy valve and pump inlet. I really dislike her entire equipment pad layout - no room to do much of anything. My pool set up is so much cleaner.

Which timer do you have now? I have an Intermatic T10604R which has the T104M and T106M switches. The T106M is to switch the speeds while the T104M is the power switch.

There are other ways to control the speed switching but this is a simple way to get the motor to switch speeds on a set schedule.

Last edited:
To get the correct motor, I would need to know which MaxFlo wet end you have. Is there any number located on the body such as SP2315x20?

I will try to post that info after they get home and I can ask or get pics sent to me.
If it helps, the present Northstar motor is a SP1615-Z-1-BNSC --- part number 7-193233-U2 --- frame Y56J

The only issue with the old motor is they may not have sized it properly so I just wanted to make sure.

The only issue with the old motor is they may not have sized it properly so I just wanted to make sure.

Ok, will get that info and post later.

Also make sure she has 240VAC going the pump as the single speeds can be wired either 120 or 240V where most / all of the 2 speed and variable speed motors require 240VAC

Yes, most definitely 240VAC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sub-panel is an Intermatic T40404R - it has a single T104M timer, so there is space to pop in a T106M timer to control the hi-low speed

Instead of whats listed above, the sand filter is actually model S311SXV

Attached is a pic of the wet end placard. Unfortunately, I can't make out a number.... In case it helps, here's the number from the strainer lid: # SP 3000-D

View attachment 45167

Thanks Ike

She has a suction side "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel, a waterfall and a slide - all powered by that pump. I guess the suction side cleaner may need high speed. The waterfall and slide could easily be switched to high during use if needed.

The T106M timer is about $70 locally - and will automate switching from low to high for the cleaner (if needed).

I'm leaning toward the 2 speed motor only option which Mark suggested. Hoping he chimes in sometime tomorrow with a motor suggestion.

Sounds like a plan, but I would think a simple double pole switch for hi / low speed setting would be more convenient than the timer, although I can see the set and forget appeal of the timer for a suction side cleaner.

The set and forget would be best for them. Both work long hours and have a 3 y/o and a 9 month old to "entertain".

It was hard enough for me to get them to test regularly. I finally got that point across. :hammer:
And they have also been using liquid bleach for almost a year now. Can't convince them to buy a TF-100 and my wife nixed giving them one as a Christmas gift.

Oh well, at least my pool sparkles because of TFP!

If the motor is not working at all, one option is to remove the motor from the wet end, which you would have to do anyway, and look for a part# on the impeller. This would also tell you if you need any other parts besides the motor or if it isn't worth it to salvage the wet end.

Otherwise, you could just go with a full rated 1.5 HP two speed motor but I suspect that motor is going to be too large for that wet end. It will still work ok, but would probably cost a little more than necessary.

With the already known mismatch of parts (motor and wet end) there is no telling what impeller might be in there. I will hopefully have time this afternoon to swing by and pull the motor. And I'll get some close-up pics of the wet end.

If it comes down to replacing the entire pump, what would be a good 2 speed option given the other equipment listed?

Thanks!

The maxflo XL is a really good efficient pump so I would not hesitate going with that. It comes in both a two speed and VS version.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.