Help picking system.

Jul 28, 2014
Manhawkin/ NJ
I'm in nj and just had an inground vinyl pool installed 16x32 free form. I want to add salt water to it on my own. I have the intelliflo pump. Would I be best installing the intellichlor ic 40 with easy touch? Don't have any features besides pentair led color changing lights, so feel it might be over kill. I like the hayward aqr15 but would I also have to install a timer out is there a way to wire it right the the pump so they both use the built in timer on the intelliflo?

I will answer you last question first - no you can't use the pump's timer to control other devices. But a single timer is pretty cheap and easy to add. The nice thing about the Hayward AquRite is that it gives you control in 1% increments without any additional automation panel required. Well that and it's affordable (less than $900 online), very reliable, and cheap to operate. My first cell lasted 7+ years and cost under $400 to replace, making my chlorine cost less tha $57 per year.

I use an Intelliflow programmed for several different speeds/flows during the day. I have a seperate timer that turns my AquaRite SWG on for a specific portion of that. It all works quite well. Of course, since the Intelliflo was a replacement for an older single speed pump, I already had a timer that was now unused by the pump and could be hooked up to just control the SWG.

I can't speak to the IC40 or easy touch, I have no experiance there. If you are looking to add automation though there are others who should be able to advise. Personally I've tried to avoid automation systems and just keep things simple.

The problem with the Intelliflo is that it does not have an output that controls external devices. Buying the IC40 with the EasyTouch would allow you to have full control over the pump, SWG, and a number of other items that you might add later.

All of these items can be controlled separately and will work fine, but they were designed to work together. You can make changes to your pump speed without having to stand on your head to read the panel, and you can change the operating time of the SWG in 1% increments instead of 20% increments. And if you just what to control things, or make program changes, from inside your house you can add the ScreenLogic 2 option.

Jim R.

My pool has pretty much what you're looking at...an Intellichlor IC-40, One valve controller for the bubblers, Pentair Color LED lights, EasyTouch automation system. I'm adding an Intelliflo pump next month. I like the ability to fine tune the SWG output, and being able to control the pump, lights, and bubblers from my iPhone or iPad.

I'm set up pretty much the same as Chief, except I have the IC40. My IC40 is on its own timer, so only being able to adjust in 20% increments isn't an issue because I can also adjust the run time for the SWG independent of the pump run time. It works great.

Thank you guys so much, It sounds like I might go with the hayward. I like the warranty with the self install, and the fact that you can adjust in 1 percent increments

- - - Updated - - -

Going to have to start reading pool school threads to get familiar with the whole maintenance of the water seems so confusing.

Go to Pool School (it's the button at the top right of this page). Spend some time reading and studying. It will all seem a bit overwhelming at first, but with a little time and study it all begins to fit together. The next thing you know you are not only in control of your own pool, you are giving advice to other pool owners here on the forum.

The one thing you do need is a real test kit. There are only two that are recommended here on the forum, and of those two the TF-100 is far and away the best bargain. It was designed for the individual pool owner and gives you more of the reagents you will use the most. When you do order a test kit, add in the SpeedStir, you will be glad you did.

If you add all the info about your pool and equipment in your signature it will help others in giving you advice, without having to ask the same questions time and again. See my sig or others for an example.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just about to order the kit and stir stick. Is theRe any thing else you guys suggest on that site?
That test kit is put together by the owner of TFP and is run as a separate business. The test kit uses Taylor reagents and is proportioned better than the Taylor K2006 kit. There is a west coast retailer that sells the TF-100, but you should get it from TFTestkits.net since they are located near you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.