The Sta-Rite S8M150 and a Intelliflo VS Pump

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I have a Sta-Rite S8M150 and the filter is very efficient, but large for my 13,000 gallon pool. I want to get a Pentair VS pump so I can run longer on low speeds to save on the PG&E bill, but was told that because I have a large filter, I would have to run a minimum pump speed of 50GPM. Which means I would always have to run the pump at a higher RPM. Is this true?

I run mine at 1200 RPM (Just because of the SWG). That gives me about 2 or 3 PSI on the filter gage. I have no idea what that relates to in GPM, but I get plenty of flow out of the pool returns. Whoever told you that is full of it.. 1200 RPM is less than 200 Watts. Pool is relatively new, but so far it looks like I will only have to clean my filters twice a year.

Jim R.

Pretty much the same here. I run at 1100 rpm to keep my SWG happy, it uses 150watts and my pressure gauge is between 0 and 5. Plenty of skimmer action to skim leaves and good water flow through the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.