Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump question

I recently opened pool up and have it in good shape.The problem Im having is when i hook up the vacum it sucks all the water out of the pump.Ive try to open the vent hule on the hose and it still loses sucken.Any suggestion,I tryed to backwash the pump still same thing,the filter has to be on filter right?
    I have a 21x41 oval with a sand filter,2hp motor ,above ground dough boy

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump question

I'm having a little trouble understanding your issue but it sounds like you are letting air get into the system somewhere in between the vacuum head and the pump.

If that's the case, it's called "loosing prime"

You must not allow any air to get into the lines anywhere along that path or the pump will not pump water.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

be sure your vac hose is full of water before you connect , you can fill by holding on the return from filter
    20 X 40, 28000 gal IG cement bottom, steel sides, vinyl liner, Pentair 4X160 pump, sand filter, SWG, Titan heat pump, coluorlogic and fiber optic. concrete-exposed aggregate deck
    1 skimmer, main drain, 4 returns ( 2 in stairs ) JEWEL LIKE WATER thanks to TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thats the problem its losing prime and I did fill the hose with water and I keep the vacum and hose sumerged im just not sure what the problem is.
    I have a 21x41 oval with a sand filter,2hp motor ,above ground dough boy

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

im just not sure what the problem is.
    Air is getting in. It may be in the hose that's out of the water, it may be sucking air in the skimmer, or it may be up around your pump strainer basket. It'll take some detective work but you are looking for a place where air is being sucked in.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You may be trying to pull more water through the vacuum suction than it's capable of-if so the pump will pump air and lose its prime. I know on mine I can not have 100% suction on the vacuum line-I have to adjust the suction valve so that suction comes also from the main drain in parallel with the vacuum skimmer. If all you have is two skimmers, than adjust so that more water coming from the skimmer w/o the suction vacuum
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing