heater for pool in DFW?

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
we're going with a standalone hot tub but also might look to add a heater to the pool to extend the swim season. It's going to be around a 16-18k gallon pool here in DFW. We'll already have gas run for the fire pit on the same side as our equipment pad so we should be able to utilize that hopefully. Given the existing gas run for the fire pit and our climate, would you go with a gas heater or heat pump? We're going with Pentair on the rest of the equipment but I see the Raypak gas heater gets high marks and it looks like Hayward has a nice heat pump. thoughts? how many BTUs would suffice if we're mainly looking to extend the season in the spring/fall and for taking advantage of times when we hit the low-70s in Feb here in DFW.

Good call on the stand alone tub, we are very happy with ours.

Gas heaters require a lot larger gas service than other appliances like grills, stoves and fire pits. So, there is a chance that the gas line isn't large enough to support a heater.

We like a warm pool too. We installed solar panels and they help a ton with taking the chill off during the swim season after rain or cloudy days and they have given us many days of swimming that would have been questionable otherwise. The solar panels also do a nice job of cooling the pool in August. But, the solar panels have not effectively extended our pool season. We also haven't used a solar cover either which would have helped a lot with heat loss overnight.

I have been on the heat pump fence for a couple of years due to high purchase cost and potential high electric bills. Hahward now has a small, inexpensive (relatively) heat pump. It looks good on paper and I am ready to extend our swimming season.

Yesterday, I ordered this heat pump, Hayward Heat Pump HP50HA | Hayward HP50HA and a clear 8 mil solar cover. I figure if I am going to pay money to heat the pool then I will use a solar cover to keep the heat in the pool.

I'll have to check with the PB re: cost savings if we were able to tie it into the gas run or not. if that's not doable, I suppose we could just wait and see how much we'd use it and opt to install one later. apart from making sure there's ample room on the pad, anything else to make it easier/cheaper down the line that needs to be done with the pool build?

I've got exposed south-facing roof so perhaps solar is an option. I'll have to poke around in some build threads.

The small heat pump I ordered requires a 20a breaker. There are a couple of smallish ones that use a 40a breaker but most heat pumps require a 50a breaker. Check on what size sub-panel is being installed and if it will have enough capacity to add a heat pump later. Solar panels are easy to add and the solar controller doesn't require much electricity. I would want the Intelliflo 011018 3hp VS pump to make sure you will be able to fine tune the water flow for whatever heat source you choose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.