Question after the fact

Torsie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
NW Arkansas
Was reading through the threads and see where ya'll say you fill up the "basket" part of the pump with water and turn on the pump and it starts running?
We had to run water in the basket part for over an hour to get water coming out into the basket by itself. What were we doing wrong? We had all the plugs in and turned the mulitport to filter. Any thoughts?

TIA

Yes we have the air release valve. We would open it and have water and air coming out.
Mostly just air coming out of the returns. Maybe it's just normal to have so much air but you guys make it sound so quick and easy. :)

Does the air come out first (from the air release valve) and then water? If so, that's normal.

When you say air from the returns, you mean millions of tiny air bubbles?

It sounds like you are sucking air some where, on the "suction side" of the filter. You do have the lid on the strainer pump basket on tight, correct? Make sure all your connections are tightened securely. Did you use teflon tape when making connections? Do you have any clamps that the screws need tightening?

No, my DH thinks the pump will overheat if we run it without it having water in the basket. It can be full and we put the lid on and then the pump sucks the water out so he takes the lid off again and runs it with a hose in the basket
until it finally starts staying full....after an hour or so.
I'm thinking that's the problem but try telling a man? haha

So, you've checked to make sure that nothing is blocking your skimmers or any other plumbing that pulls water from the pool to the pump?

Make sure water is in the strainer basket at the pump with the lid on securely. Power up the pump. Set multiport to "filter". Open air relief to purge air from system. Leave it open until there is just water coming out and then close the air relief valve.

If at this point you lose prime again, try switching off the skimmers one at a time to see if things improve. You may even try switching the skimmers off entirely and just opening the bottom drain as your only source. Do all this in an attempt to see if you can isolate the location of the problem.

It is full of water now but they drained the pipes last fall.
You're not the only one that's confused. Thank goodness we finally got it to work but I was just wondering how come it took so long. I think now I know :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
haha oh sorry, I think it's because DH wouldn't leave the lid on the basket to the pump and he kept closing the little thingy for the air to come out on the top of the filter.

Does that sound like a good reason?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.