Yellow spots

Feb 15, 2016
Plano
Hi all, i am new to this forum and novice in maintaining the pool. I fired my pool guy after i found out that he was charging me for the visits he never made during winter.

So here is the problem. I see these yellow spots in one area as if something is leaking from the plaster. Do you know what this is?

Swg - 15000 - plaster

Just took the readings
Fcl 3.5
Ecl3.5
Ph 7.6
Alk 77
Ch 360
Cya 73

It very well could be rust from the shell of the pool if the plaster/gunite is beginning to break down. Or it could be rust from something that fell in the pool and sat in that spot and rusted..

Photos would really help. You can't upload them using Tapatalk, but can from a computer.

As to the Lamott ColorQ members here have reported that they tend to loose accuracy with age as well as a limitation of only registering a FC level up to 10. Above 10 it just reads "High". With a CYA of 73 (we call it 80) your FC target level should be 9 (unless you have a SWCG), which is close to the limits of your meter.

For this reason we are generally reticent to trust their results. We recomed everyone have their own accurate drop based test kit like the TF100. With that you can regularly compare readings and see if your ColorQ is beginning to "drift" off accuracy.

They look like rust. For now, you can remove them with some vitamin C tablets in a sock and scrub away. Keep an eye on your FC and add liquid chlorine/bleach as needed. As for the underlying cause, there are others better equipped to answer that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was referring to this recommendations - Pool School - Recommended Levels

According to this it states the FC should be 3-7. What am i missing?

It very well could be rust from the shell of the pool if the plaster/gunite is beginning to break down. Or it could be rust from something that fell in the pool and sat in that spot and rusted..

Photos would really help. You can't upload them using Tapatalk, but can from a computer.

As to the Lamott ColorQ members here have reported that they tend to loose accuracy with age as well as a limitation of only registering a FC level up to 10. Above 10 it just reads "High". With a CYA of 73 (we call it 80) your FC target level should be 9 (unless you have a SWCG), which is close to the limits of your meter.

For this reason we are generally reticent to trust their results. We recomed everyone have their own accurate drop based test kit like the TF100. With that you can regularly compare readings and see if your ColorQ is beginning to "drift" off accuracy.

Thank you for all your replies.

I just went to the pool store to test the water. Here is what they are suggesting. Attached image. Do I really need to do the PHOSFree treatment? Or should i do the vitamin c tablet treatment?

IMG_3245.jpg

You are missing CYA/Stabilizer. Our FC recommendations are all based on the CYA of the pool. You can't just look at that one chart.

Try these three articles to explain it:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100

Thank you for all your replies.

I just went to the pool store to test the water. Here is what they are suggesting. Attached image. Do I really need to do the PHOSFree treatment? Or should i do the vitamin c tablet treatment?
No, following our methods PHOSFree is not generally recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

as an alternative pool chemical test kit, i have been using taylor's K-2006C kit and have liked it very much.
You are correct, the K-2006C is very similar to the TF-100. They both use Taylor reagents. It is just that the TF-100 is more suited to a residential pool owner and a TFP follower as it contains more of the reagents we generally use and less (or none) of the ones we seldom if ever use. But, folks need to be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles, you need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.