Cracks & Leaking 8 weeks after build

Feb 15, 2016
Lavon
HI all -

We had our inground gunite pool built last summer, completed construction and put water in it the beginning of October. The beginning of December, we noticed the pool was leaking, and found a large crack. Since then we have had to drain the pool, as they could not stop the leaking, and now we can see that the entire pool has cracks everywhere. The pool company is telling us that it was soil movement, and that they can fix it after we have soil injections. I have had 4 pool repair companies come out to take a look and they have all told me the same thing, that it was defective manufacturing, that there is no way to repair the pool, that it has to be dug up and redone, and that soil movement would not have caused the amount of cracks that we have.
If 4 repair companies are all telling me the same thing - how is the pool company telling me something different - That they can fix what 4 other companies won't even touch?

I have a brand new pool that I want the pool company to stand by and do the right thing. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks -

Welcome to TFP. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I am very sorry to hear you are going through this with a new pool!

While I'm sure many members here will offer advice and opinions, I don't think this thread is going to get you very far nor is there much we can offer you except sympathy for your troubles.

This is a new pool with a cracked gunite shell. This is clearly a case of defective workmanship either in the gunite job itself or in the soil analysis done prior to build. The "soil movement" explanation is nothing more than a red-herring to throw you off track and waste time.

You need a lawyer.

You need your contract.

You need any shred of documentation you can find on the pool build.

Then you need to sit down with your lawyer, your contract and the pool builder to figure out when they plan to excavate your existing pool and build a new one.

I'm sorry to say this, but be prepared for a fight because, unless this pool builder is a large regional firm with deep pockets, you are going to be fought tooth and nail against what those other 4 companies recommend.

Good luck,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

As Matt states above you need someone help. You need a pool engineer or a structural engineer familiar with pools. You also need a lawyer familiar with construction defects. You might want to start with pool engineering in Anaheim ca. They do work throughout the U.S. If they can't help they can refer.

I have no idea what happened to your pool and have not seen pictures but a pool cracking due to soil movement in the first year means that it was not constructed to deal with the stress caused by existing soil conditions. Most gunite pols are over engineered to last a long long time so cracking from soil movement is defective engineering and construction.

But you need an engineer to say this. That will force your ph to be serious. Let's hope he has the money or insurance to solve this.

And, I would highly recommend you stick around but keep any and all discussions about this between you,your lawyer and the pool company who built your pool. We are very sorry. Once you get this situated n you're made whole, then you can post about it. But it's in everyone's best interest if it stays between you guys. Good luck!

This is very good advice. None of us can tell you who's right and wrong.

I had to hire and attorney to put my pool in. I went to an attorney who I knew and I asked who I should use specialized in this.

I was right and the whole subdivision was replatted. I didn't get my attorney fees back (7k), this is something you should discuss and weigh in your decision. It was the best money I ever spent though, it was serious till I did that. Plus Im now getting the property deeded to me which is worth more than 7k and NOT on my contract :)

I would get two construction arbitration attorneys lined up, drop off the documents and then post review listen and hear:

1) Whats my likely outcome
2) Whats my game plan
3) Whats the cost

This will is sound advise below. Never anything wrong with a legal opinion. Good luck.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I am very sorry to hear you are going through this with a new pool!

While I'm sure many members here will offer advice and opinions, I don't think this thread is going to get you very far nor is there much we can offer you except sympathy for your troubles.

This is a new pool with a cracked gunite shell. This is clearly a case of defective workmanship either in the gunite job itself or in the soil analysis done prior to build. The "soil movement" explanation is nothing more than a red-herring to throw you off track and waste time.

You need a lawyer.

You need your contract.

You need any shred of documentation you can find on the pool build.

Then you need to sit down with your lawyer, your contract and the pool builder to figure out when they plan to excavate your existing pool and build a new one.

I'm sorry to say this, but be prepared for a fight because, unless this pool builder is a large regional firm with deep pockets, you are going to be fought tooth and nail against what those other 4 companies recommend.

Good luck,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Are you in Lavon, TX?

We have black clay soil here too and it moves a lot, especially with the extreme drought and rain we've had the last several years. My pool cracked and leaked soon after it was built. PB repaired it with epoxy and the leak stopped. I added a micro irrigation system and monitored the soil moisture levels fairly closely and it was fine the next 3 years. Then after all the rain in spring it stayed wet on one side and not on the other. The deck heaved a little and the pool cracked again, no leak this time. PB fixed it with epoxy. I paid more attention to the irrigation and moisture level again and the deck moved back and everything is OK again. So, whatever the outcome, repaired pool or new pool, be sure to maintain even soil moisture at all times. Especially in winter, I have had more trouble in winter than in summer.

Gunite is more flexible than plaster so it is possible for gunite to move and without cracking but the plaster will crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.