Another Over-sized Single Speed Pump

vela

Sep 22, 2015
League City/TX
My new pool was supplied with a loud 1.5HP Tristar pump/motor combo that I believe is way overkill since I don't have a spa or waterfall feature (I only have a couple of bubblers for what it's worth). Can I change out the motor and salvage the new wet-end pump? Initially I was intrigued by the idea of water turnover in a couple hours with the oversized pump so I didn't complain much when the PB chose it. However, I did not take the sound levels into consideration and are now bugging me. I figure that for my 9.5K gal I could probably get by with a 3/4HP motor. Would that still be the case for a 2 speed motor? Which would be the recommendation if any? Thanks in advance!

I really don't understand why builders constantly keep putting these ridiculously oversized pump on small pools. In my opinion, the only pump that should be installed on new construction is a variable speed. The new models are only slightly more money than a single speed or two speed. The variable speed pump will save money in the long run and is much quieter.

Note: Quieter at low speed. Some vsp pump get loud at top speeds. Sometimes they get an annoying whine.

I would suggest an aftermarket variable speed motor.

Also, for new construction, an automation system can be a worthwhile investment. It provides timers for everything and it helps ensure that everything works together.

That should work as long as the total H.P of your existing pump is not more than 1.65. The total H.P is the nameplate H.P x the service factor. Most new motors have the total hp on a label. If your pump is more than 1.65 total hp, you could still use the motor. However, you would have to also replace the impeller.

What is the model number of the pump?

If you have a 1.5 hp full rated pump, it's actually a 2.4 total H.P pump and it can do 140 gpm, which would equate to about a one hour turnover (assuming low head loss).

Ok, that motor will work. However, it doesn't have the best control interface. It only alows speed settings for set times. I think that you can get it to work with your timer, but it won't be as good as a motor with a proper timeclock.

You should review the installation and operations manual to make sure that the control will work how you want it to.

The vgreen 165 will accept outside control input. That might work. The vgreen 270 motor has a better interface control, but it's a lot more money. The 270 interface can be put on the 165, but that's probably more expensive.

In my opinion, the builder should have installed a variable speed pump from the beginning.

Vela, how's the VGreen 165 working for you? I'm thinking of swapping out my oversized, dying motor (1.65 THP). You had the same motor as I do now (A.O. Smith/Century), only difference is the pump model. It seems like this is the only 1.65THP variable speed motor available for my old single speed pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am very pleased with it. Way quieter than my previous one (due to lower settings) and has all the controls I need. The controls are a bit quirky and do take some getting used to. I thought about buying the add-on user interface, but after learning and getting used to the factory ones, I don't need it or the added expense. I would definitely buy it again, but I hope I don't have to for a very long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.