Having AGP updated.Have ???

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
Well,didn't open pool last year.We are planning on getting started this year.I have a Pro coming next month to Install new liner and he is also going to install drain and install 2 new inlet's.Trying to help on keeping my clean up easier for sure.Also,converting to Salt..Couple ? here.First,since my sand filter set last year without use.I think I changed sand out about 3 years ago.Do I need to change out sand?Second,I've been running a Matrix Powerflow for 12 years now.It has been good.But,I'm thinking of ordering a new pump.I was looking at another 1 horse Matrix.Should I get the 2 speed version ? Also looking at the PowerFlow Version which is cheaper than the Matrix in price.My Pool guy was telling me that I should change to the SuperPump.But,honestly I can't see spending $350 for a pump/plus don't look like it is wired.So I will have to do that to.Any suggestion out there?Thanks

You don't need to change the sand. You can deep clean it if you want, but a really good backwash and rinse is probably all you need. If you decide to switch out pumps go for a two speed 1 hp. Hang on to the old pump if it still works in case you need a spare in the future.

Thank's for the Deep Cleaning reminder.Have done this before.we didn't even open last year because of liner problem's.Past couple year's have not had much luck.More trouble than its worth.Decided to start over again this year.
Moving to a 1hp 2 speed pump will save a lot of electricity every month.

More here on cleaning your filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Or if you want to give it a deep cleaning here is how, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

What are the 2 new inlets and drain for? Remember, the more cuts made in a liner, the more it can leak. I personally think it's over kill. I have a 24ft x 54 inch pool n have never wished for more inlets or drains and my water is very clear.

What are the 2 new inlets and drain for? Remember, the more cuts made in a liner, the more it can leak. I personally think it's over kill. I have a 24ft x 54 inch pool n have never wished for more inlets or drains and my water is very clear.

Closing original hole up.Poor design on Rec Warehouse pool.The original return is to close to skimmer per pool guy.Installing the new ones across from each other.Then adding drain.My neighbor has a row of out grown cypris trees that are making a mess of the pool.I've always had bad circulation with pool.Anything to make my job easier for sure.I'm concerned about adding drain in bottom for sure.Pool guy says that he has never had a problem with his install's with drains.He has been in business for over 25 yrs

I will tell you I was VERY excited to have a bottom main drain "oh it will help because the dirt will all go down and into it" NOT :(

My installer was SO careful to slope the bottom to the center main drain and did a great job BUT the main drain does almost nothing at all even if I have all of the suction going to the bottom drain instead of some to the skimmer. I THINK it is because of it having to be raised and the cover on it.

I still have to run the vacuum to get the leaves and dirt up from the bottom.

Kim

If you do some searches for main drains you will find that many folks do just fine without one. Many people had one and ended-up having it plugged for issues later (i.e. leaks). Our 16x40 pool does just fine without one. The skimmer does a good job grabbing surface debris, and whatever sinks before it gets skimmed will be swept and/or vacuumed. No worries. Me personally, I would focus on the optimal number of jets to ensure circulation of water for chemicals and debris to the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well,we ordered the Matrix Power Flow 1 horse 2 speed.I'm still up in the air about the drain.Did talk to someone the guy does alot of work for that haul's water to alot of his build's.He was telling me that he build's is own using PVC under the floor.So is drain's are flat on the floor.So if that's the case I can see how it would help.I'm just concerned of the kid's getting on it and messing it up.Suppose to be getting in touch with several of his customer's.We will see.He is charging me $450 for the liner install which includes smoothing the bottom back out by hand and $175 for a complete hard plumb with 2 return's and the drain.Very reasonable in my book.My Hayworth Salt Generator came today.He is installing that inline in the plumbing.Would love to hear any feedback you all have.Thanks

The main drain, in my opinion, is not needed. Even one skimmer and 2 returns would be better than messing with a main drain.

Your welcome. You probably won't get a lot more comments only because it's our off season. If you want to know exactly what I'd do, I'd put a return where it usually goes an one a foot from the bottom. You could move so much water, it'd be unreal.

Pool supply world is a top notch company. Are they requesting the other liner back?

I sent them pictures this morning has requested.Another department handles return's.Was told this isn't the first time with UPS.We have alway's had problem's with them and pkg's here.
Pool supply world is a top notch company. Are they requesting the other liner back?

- - - Updated - - -

Weather is going to be nice this weekend.I'm having hip replacement this coming Tuesday.Got my kid's coming tomorrow to help in cleaning out the old torn up liner and other stuff.Pool Guy is planning on next month to fix everything.Glad I had time to get another one.Liner was in no wrapping and just in the one box that it was pkg'd in from Swimline.Hope the second one look's better.lol
:( Just in time for the weekend too

Kim

Might be late to the party, but an additional vote for no MD. As others have said, a couple strategically placed returns will solve any potential circulation / water temp issues, and by nixing the drain you avoid plumbing under the liner that could potentially fail, as well as an additional penetration of the liner. Just my 2 cents!

EDIT: kim, congrats on breaking 10,000 posts!

Might be late to the party, but an additional vote for no MD. As others have said, a couple strategically placed returns will solve any potential circulation / water temp issues, and by nixing the drain you avoid plumbing under the liner that could potentially fail, as well as an additional penetration of the liner. Just my 2 cents!

EDIT: kim, congrats on breaking 10,000 posts!

Never to late.Thank You.I have never been very positive to the idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.