Digging Pool in Wet Conditions?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We are having an inground pool installed and it has rained heavily twice in the last 5 days. Last week before the rain they pulled off the sod, leaving basically mud. They had planned on digging the pool last week, but it rained. Then they were going to do it tomorrow, but it rained yesterday, so much so that our backyard has standing water on it. The pool guy says he can go ahead with it. It is really okay to dig in the wet

Dry is better but he knows that, too. PB's have to work in tough conditions sometimes and most have developed ways to do so successfully.

He would only hurt himself if it was too wet.

We dug my pool in February in south Louisiana. My yard was a sloppy mess. It is much better and more pleasant when dry, but possible when wet. My biggest obstacle would have been hitting the water table, but we got lucky and got nothing but hard clay all the way down to 9'. It all worked out fine. The PB's usually have a couple submersible pumps to remove any water that may accumulate during the dig. What part of the country are you in? and do you know where your water table is? I would certainly discuss with the PB who's responsible if they have a cave-in or what they'll do if they hit the water table, just so both of you are on the same page.

You can check out my pool build by the link in my signature. I need to update soon to include some final pics with everything landscaped.

Jim

I live in Ontario Canada, within a residential neighborhood. Not too worried about a water table, but just concerned that it is too muddy. The PB does seem to know what he is doing and is very well regarded in my area. I just thought you had to wait for the ground to dry out, especially to pour concrete.

They dug out the pool yesterday in the sun, got the walls up, and poured about 1/4 of the concrete. Today, pouring rain, and with no backfill yet, I am a bit worried about things caving in. They don't seem to be though. They say they will be back tomorrow.

It sounds like you are building a liner pool which I don't know much about, however, I do know a bit about general construction. I would make sure they recheck the walls to ensure they are still level after these rains.

It is a liner pool, 16X 32 oasis shaped. They dug the pool on Monday, and finished on Wednesday. We now have to wait for the landscaper to lay our stone patio and then they will come back, clean it all up, install the equipment and put in the liner. Hopefully the weather cooperates as we are already 2 weeks behind schedule due to all the rain.

It's been sunny for 4 straight days and no progress. The landscaper says he'll be here tomorrow and start cutting the stone for the coping. The PB cannot finish off till the landscaper is done. Anyone know how long it takes to say, clean up the pool itself, install the liner and hook up the equipment? Hoping to be swimming by the long weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.