Should I add less DE?

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
I recently added DE powder after cleaning the filters. The filter had some holes which the powder went into the pool causing the base surface to be cloudy.

Anyways, I just bought brand new filters but don't know if I should cut back on the DE recommended powder since I recently pour some.

Assuming the extra DE is in the pool and not the filter, I would add the full amount and just know that the filters will clog up quicker than usual because you'll vacuum up the stuff in the pool.

The reason is that DE screens are pretty sensitive. If you undercharge it, parts of the filter will not be coated, and any sand or grit or twigs that you vacuum up could get embedded in the screen when they aren't coated. Imagine a bunch of kitchen sponges covering a screen made of chicken wire. That's a DE filter under a microscope. The DE coats the screens and seals up the openings and the water gets filtered through the pores. If you're missing a patch, the water will go through that instead of the coating because the holes are bigger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.