TFP method beginner

Jul 22, 2015
cookeville, tn
Hi, I am little familiar with this method and it helped me tremulously during a bad pool summer last year. This upcoming summer I thinking of fully committing to do the TFP method, but I am extremely hesitate to do so. In the past, I would just use two pack of shock a week on my pool and it would stay pretty clear throughout the summer, in less bad weathers came. Since last year my pool messed up frequently, I was considering fully committing to do TFP method. My question though is what is the daily thing you do during the summer with your pool? I know you need that one kits everybody recommend and to check with the pool calculator to see what your pool might need. But my question is what do you put in your pool daily throughout the week, and I wonder is it really cheaper to do the TFP method?

During the summer I check FC and PH every few days. I add about 10oz of 8.25% bleach daily when it is summer, a little less before and after. The key is getting to know your pool and what it needs and for that you need to test the water yourself with a good test kit.

But my question is what do you put in your pool daily throughout the week, and I wonder is it really cheaper to do the TFP method?

What's your alternatives? You either pay for a pool service which, in some regions, can equate to $1000 per year (here in AZ most pool service contracts run 12 months per year and cost ~$100 per month). Or, you use the shock & pray method. The weekly shock method is pretty cheap but it unnecessarily raises your FC to very high levels and causes your water to be loaded up with either too much stabilizer (from dichlor powder) or too much calcium (from cal-hypo powder). If you live in an area where you close your pool over the winter months and drain half your pool volume each season, the use of dichlor shock and trichlor pucks in a blue floater can be managed for several seasons without too serious water quality issues.

The TFP method is nothing more than simply knowing how to test your water yourself (because only you care about your pool water), knowing what the pool chemicals sold in stores are and what they do AND knowing exactly what your pool needs to keep it clean and sanitary. We also advocate that a pools daily FC target must be above the threshold necessary to kill algae and pathogens AND that the proper FC value depends on your stabilizer level. This is opposed to the industry taught standard that all you need is 1-3ppm FC to have clean and clear water (we have proven that to be untrue).

So here's what you can do - Buy a proper test kit and learn how to use it to measure your water parameters yourself. Commit to testing your water at least once per day during the swim season so that you can learn HOW your pool reacts to the chlorine you add. Add chlorine to your pool so that you maintain the correct FC/CYA ratio which means, in the beginning, testing and dosing your water everyday. Brush, vacuum and maintain your pool's cleanliness to your satisfaction and keep your equipment in good working order.

For most of us, the above tasks take maybe 5-15mins per day (usually the time it takes to go outside with a cup of coffee in the morning and figure out what the pool needs) and then maybe another 30mins on the weekend to do a full set of tests. Once you get to know how your pool consumes chlorine over the days and weeks, testing can be scaled back to simple pH/FC/CC testing a few times per week rather than every day. Unless your pool has a major algae outbreak (which is rare if you are taking care of it daily) or some major equipment malfunction, then maintenance is really nothing more than keeping the pool clean to your liking.

Does that answer your question? I hope you do take the next season to commit to TFP because I think you'll find that once you get past the initial period of learning, your pool will be very simple to take care of and very cheap to run from a chemical standpoint.

Good luck,

Matt

I would reckon your pool probably started messing up because the stabilizer (CYA), got too high. If those bags of shock are trichlor, then it contains a lot of CYA as well as chlorine.

You will need a good test kit to tell for sure though.

The only thing anyone needs to add daily is chlorine. EIther liquid form, or by use of a saltwater chlorine generator.

I, too, was hesitant to commit to drinking the "TFP Kool-Aid" at first. Here are a bunch of folks who, while they're helpful and extremely courteous, don't know me or my pool, telling me to use only stuff you find at WalMart to maintain a pool. I mean, the pool chemical companies are in business for a reason, right? It can't possibly be as simple as all these folks make it sound. My wife thought I was absolutely nuts when I told her I was going to try what "those people online" were saying.

That was last May. I came here out of desperation, as my pool was a beautiful turquoise green. A combination of algae and copper-based algaecide were the most likely culprits.

After my 2-week-long SLAM (and some 100+ jugs of Great Value Concentrated Bleach), I settled into daily maintenance. Daily: Check FC, add chlorine as needed, clean skimmer baskets, check filter pressure. Weekly: Run full series of water tests, adjust pH and CYA as needed, backwash or clean filter as needed. That's it. I went from spending $100+ per week at the pool store to spending about $3.50 per day. My pool is safe, clean, and, well, trouble-free.

When I was relying on the pool store to tell me what chemicals I needed, I fought algae all season long. You name it, I fought it -- green algae, black algae, mustard algae. 2 or 3 times a season. And my water generally looked clear, but occasionally it would cloud up (right before an algae bloom...).

With the TFP method, I haven't had even an algae scare. Not even cloudy water since I committed. Embarrassing but true: One day, about a month after my SLAM, I was outside checking the pool. I noticed bright spots on the floor and walls of the pool that seemed to be dancing as the wind blew across the water. I called my wife out because I thought something was wrong. Just as she was about to light into me about how much it was going to cost to get the pool $tore to "fix it," I found an image on Google -- from TFP -- of "sparkling pool water." It looked exactly like my pool. I had never seen my pool water sparkle before I jumped on the TFP bandwagon.

I'm mixin' up a fresh batch of Kool-Aid. Who wants some? :D

Reactions: Seanm1973
I've been a TFP'er since 2007. I have never once stepped in a pool store for their chemicals, NOT ONCE.

I add bleach every evening or every other evening. I never go over 2 days without adding bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lacey, I think we are talking amoungst ourselves here but... Hope you are still listening!

Oh boy.... You are asking a bunch of devotees if we think TFP methods are best? Hahaha!

Yes, it is cheaper, MUCH cheaper, and the test kit will pay for itself in no time. Really. Really. R.E.A.L.L.Y!

Lacey, to simply answer your question:
My question though is what is the daily thing you do during the summer with your pool?

For our pool, I add about 1/2 gallon of regular (generic) 8.25% household bleach each day. I can buy a gallon locally for $3, so basically it costs me $1.50 per day to sanitize my water. That's most of my effort on a daily basis. That's it. Once a week or so I "may" need to add a little acid, but only if the testing suggests so. Aside from that, I test as needed with my TF-100 (very easy). FC (free chlorine) is tested daily followed by pH, and TA every few days. Other things might get tested once a month. So really, I have a routine to add X-amount of bleach each day. While I'm enjoying the pool, I'll sweep a little and just give the pool some "TLC".

My days at the local pool store and dumping lots of $$$ on fancy products are far behind me, and my water has never looked better. But it's all pointless without the proper test kit. That's a must-have item.

During the summer, I test Chlorine twice a week, ph once. Cya and TA once a month. During the over-110 degrees days, I'm up to about 32 oz of 10% a day. average in the summer about 20 oz. per day.

In the winter...geez like 32 oz a month! Think about how much you've been over-chlorinating your pool in the winter, because you didn't have the right tests. A lot money wasted there I'm sure.

But my question is what do you put in your pool daily throughout the week

My answer...my body in a bathing suit. :D

We chlorinate using a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) so we automate the chlorine delivery process. I test a few times a week and press a button up or down to adjust the amount of chlorine produced. Oh, and I have to add some muriatic acid (MA) twice a week to keep the pH in line - which is often needed for those with SWCG's.

I've only ever managed my pool the TFPC way - 3 seasons so far. Is there another way??

Last summer we upgraded to a larger pool. After adding the CYA (stabilizer) I only added had to add bleach daily. Having used the TFP pool method for 3 years, I don't always test everyday, but I do add bleach every day. An important thing that is often overlooked is the importance of brushing. I brushed at least once a week. I din't have any water features so I never had to mess much with my PH. I still test it every few days, though. The other numbers I checked about once a month.

Boy what a question.... I stumbled on this page a few years ago after we had an above ground pool that became a swamp monster. My husband can attest that strictly using what they told me to do here, I turned literally black/green water to perfect. Unfortunately, we lost that pool not too long after (thanks kids with a box cutter!) so I was offline here for a while.. THEN we moved back to Cali to our rental house with a great pool!

Landlord told me "pool guy" is included in rent... well until I saw how he "handled" the pool once a week. I grabbed my test kit and ordered replacement regeants and once they arrived I began testing. I sent my landlord the results which had ZERO chlorine in it a few days after he left. I also sent her pics of the algae growing in the corner. I told her I would take over maintaining the pool itself but we would need someone for equipment issues (and believe me there have been many lol). She agreed so I am now the pool girl :)

My daily thing is to test chlorine once and add as needed (I go through a few jugs a week since in the summer the pool is in full sun). In addition, we skim and sweep every day since we have one Palm tree behind our fence lol Once a week, I do the full battery of tests and adjust anything as needed but its very rare. My spa requires more babying than the pool does :)

I honestly have never used anything else but TFP and I never will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.