Acid Wash/Stain/Maintenance Questions

Aug 29, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
We made a few mistakes while learning the BBB method, and a couple years ago we had to slam the pool due to algae. Slamming seemed to cause brown staining on our pool bottom. We are now ready to drain/refill the pool, and are considering an acid wash, and then methods to prevent stains from happening again if possible. First of all, I have read conflicting things, and wonder if acid washing is safe on pebbletec? As for the stains, vitamin C crushed in a sock did not seem to release the stain. The pool techs we have seen say they see that frequently here due to our incredibly hard water (even our fill water is hard -testing out of the tap at 270-290; pool water is off the charts), and they say the calcium traps dirt into the surface. We are told an acid wash will help to remove the stains. When I refill, I have considered adding Jack's Purple Magic just for insurance in the event any stains are metal, but I hate to purchase/maintain another chemical if unnecessary. I also know that Jack's products require careful monitoring/adjusting for ph/chlorine, and we already have to be diligent due to PH rise. I appreciate any thoughts on acid washing pebbletec, and Jack's Magic or other products. I guess I just hate to pay for an acid wash if the stains are bound to reappear!

Hi that is sad about the staining :( I hope we can get it pretty again and keep it this way.

Let's do some "housekeeping" first. Will you please do a couple of things for me?

-Add you location to the area under your name. I see it in your siggy but most of us look for it by your name (lazy habit LOL)
-Add how you are testing your water to your siggy.

We will get started on your pool cleaning when we have all of this information to help us help you.

Kim

Okay, hopefully my new stats show. I am using a TFT-100. In case it is relevant, we also have a rather inefficient in-floor cleaning system. Great for circulating water, not so great for cleaning (trying to optimize that now). We have no side port, so we brush often, and occasionally use the pole vacuum. Not a lot of debris in the pool, but we do get plenty of dust and sand that erodes from the waterfall.

You are set! THANKS!

Okay so you have the best kit there is.

You say your water is very hard and pool water even worse. I guess that is from not much rain to help delete the water.

How were your adding FC to your pool up until now?

Share with us a full test of your fill water (except CYA as it has to be added).

Kim

FC-9 (use liquid chlorine in winter, a touch high due to temp changes and chlorinator kicking on)
CC-0
PH- 7.6
TA- 70
CYA - even after years, I cannot seem to pin down this test. Between 60-70 (will keep near 80 when refilled)
Calcium - ??? I quit at 60 drops....and have never had good success with this test until testing tap water. Welcome to Arizona! Haven't tested at Leslie's in a
long time, but I seem to recall numbers in the 350-450 range.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops..fill water...missed that one. I will have to run tests and get back to you.

We are going on our third year for Pebble Sheen this spring prior to having regular plaster. We have our pool drained, power washed and acid washed every spring due to the ugly water line stains you get after the winter closing. So far so good and the company we use to open do this to all of their high end pools up here in the Chicago area.

Thanks for your reply! Our pool repair guy (who we don't really know at this point) said it is no big deal, but I have read online that it can shorten the life of the pebbletec. I'm just trying to understand the risks. We've put an awful lot into our system over the last three years, and I cringe at the thought of damaging the surface! It is good to know that you've had a good experience with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.