Floatron?

Nope. Waste of money IMHO.

Welcome! :wave:

If you would post a full set of test results, especially your CYA level, we can advise you better. What you describe sounds like either a nascent algae bloom and/or too high CYA.

How do you normally sanitize? Tablets? Powder shock? Those will raise CYA to the point where "normal" levels of FC are rendered useless.

If you don't have a way to test your water, I'd advise taking a sample to the pool store....post the results here first (don't buy anything from them yet) and then we'll help you figure out what to do next. :wink: :goodjob:

Edit: The Floatron is an ionizer. Read more about alternative sanitizers like the Floatron here.

Floatron is an ionizer powered by the sun. Read this thread:
alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

And these links,our own EPA is a bit lax and, IMHO, really needs to use the standards set forth by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA), which is their regulating body over pool and spa sanitizers much like our own EPA. The APVMA has passed some very stringent regulations concerining the use of mineral sanitizers and ionizers and specifically had a memo about the floatron (that it would be suitable for use in spas as a secondary system but not for pools):
http://www.apvma.gov.au/qa/poolspa_Q&A.shtml
http://www.apvma.gov.au/qa/poolspa_FAQ_May2005.shtml :

I've got a Floatron. I bought it prior to TFP.com and understanding how pool chemistry works. I basically had CYA locking up all my chlorine (this I did not know).

That being said, copper can kill algae, but in practice I did not notice that my floatron did much. I even spoke with their main guy as I could not keep the copper level up in my pool using their device. Turns out that Zeolite locked up all the copper so there was none left for the pool (long story there, but he did confirm from the zeolite manufacturer that this can happen). They had not had much experience with Zeolite as most of their customers used sand or DE.

So now that I use my knowledge learned here, I still use the Floatron . . . upside down to hold a stocking full of CYA in front of a return jet :)

Don't waste your money.

If you would post a full set of test results, especially your CYA level, we can advise you better. What you describe sounds like either a nascent algae bloom and/or too high CYA.

How do you normally sanitize? Tablets? Powder shock? Those will raise CYA to the point where "normal" levels of FC are rendered useless.

Thanks for replying so fast. Great site.
Chlorine 0.5
PH 7.2
TA 220
CYA 100+
TDS 1000

These results from the local pool store pretty much match my own results.
I normally have a floater with about 5 or 6 3-inch tablets supplemented with 2 lbs of powder shock as needed.
Water is crystal clear now but probably won't remain so with no chlorine.

Well, it's not good news. And you're right, you are fighting a losing battle. Stop using the tabs, stop using the powder. Go buy some liquid chlorine a.k.a. bleach. Either the Pool Store sells it at 10-12.5% or you can buy household Clorox (or generic brand) 6%. This will not add anymore CYA to your pool.

As suspected, the CYA is off the charts which means you can't hold FC.

See the chart in my sig.....

You are going to have to do some draining of your pool water, 60% I would guess to start, will lower the CYA to a more manageable number, and the only way to do that is to drain and refill. Then recirculate, then retest.

(It took 4 partial drains and refills of my pool after I found this website to lower the CYA from over 100 down to 50.)

The pool store didn't test for CH? You need to know for plaster pools.

I would advise that you order this kit asap, or this one, and then set about draining/refilling. You will need to drain 60% of your pool, and even then it may take more. You should be able to drain down 1/3 safely, then refill, recirculate and retest. You may have to do a series like I did. :cry:

Hope this helps. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.