Flooding in North Dakota

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
Boy am I depressed. I could open my pool but the area is under a flood warning. Sooo, I can open it up till most likely the 1st of May.

My question. When does algae start up? I stuck my head under my Meyco winter cover and the water is at 40 degrees. Dang cold yet which is OK in my mind since I cant open up the pool yet. Its a bit green, but really not too bad. I can see the bottom in the shallow end fairly good.

My thought is as soon as I can open it up, I would need to bleach the Crud out of it to kill the algae and run the filter nonstop.

My other question is could I add any PH to the pool while I am waiting? I plan to test the water here today to see what the PH is at as I want to be sure my vinyl liner will be OK until I get the go that I can open it up.

Thanks guys & gals. Just getting really impatient is all at this point. :rant:

You really need a way to circulate the water first before you test, otherwise the results won't be accurate. You probably want to open before the water hits 60 degrees, that's when algae can really take off.

Flood warning from all the rain? Or is your pool in a flood plain? Hope all works out ok. :wink:

No, Most of it is from the 100 plus inches of snow we received over the winter and now it rained 3 inches. We live by the James River in Jamestown and that has a resevoir/dam system that is overflowing.

Attached is a link that has some of the pictures in our area to give you an idea of how bad it is for everyone including our poor farmers.

www.co.stutsman.nd.us/floodinfo.html

My thought is that since its not circulating to take different readings at different levels. I tested the PH 5 times and it ranges from 7 to 7.2. Our tap water and even the rain water seems to have some PH in it so thats a plus so I think I am OK?

Sucks bad, but I guess it could always be worse.

Our house is on a hill so I was smart and blew all the snow in our back yar over the fence and into the alley. Kept all the moisture from the pool and the house. People I work with say that they have had seepage into their homes and we have been lucky. No seepage and just my sump pump running once every 30-45 min. Not too bad. We have a ranch style home with draintile. Just replumbed a new pump and have a spare as a backup just in case.

Thanks for the info. pool mom!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.