Need some help on repainting a pool

Feb 11, 2016
Lafayette
So 3 years ago we hired some one to paint our pool. They did a terrible job. Now it is worn out again. I need to paint would love to replaster it but no money for that. So what steps need to be taken to repaint it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

It never really looked good from the beginning he was supposed to prime and paint and he just painted. Then said the paint had primer mixed. So I guess when it will be warmer for couple of days I will drain it and pressure wash it. Didn't know if I need to wash with muratic acid.

It never really looked good from the beginning he was supposed to prime and paint and he just painted. Then said the paint had primer mixed. So I guess when it will be warmer for couple of days I will drain it and pressure wash it. Didn't know if I need to wash with muratic acid.

This MAY have been what he used..... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/ce/ce5249c7-1f04-453a-972e-18b48c2c9792.pdf
It does give a little prep information....

From A Ramuc PDF. I highly recommend their paint. Also make sure you prep the surface correctly for proper adhesion. Let us know what type of paint you have and we can go from there.

To determine the type of coating you may have on your pool or slides please follow
the procedure outlined below:
 Apply denatured alcohol to a clean cloth and rub onto surface. If the paint sof-
tens then the coating is probably a water-based acrylic paint.
 Apply Xylene or Xylol to a clean cloth and rub onto surface. If the paint softens,
put a small amount of Xylene or Xylol on your finger and rub the surface in cir-
cles. If it softens and “strings” the paint is probably a chlorinated rubber based
paint. If the coating softens but does NOT string, then it is probably a synthetic
rubber. If nothing happens to the paint coating when you rub the surface with
the Xylene on the cloth, then the paint is most likely an epoxy, or a gel coat.
NOTE:
For testing a white surface use a dark colored cloth
For testing a colored surface use a white cloth.
If there is any doubt as to the type of paint on the surface, take a sample to your
local paint store or dealer to send to RAMUC (800-745-6756) for definitive analysis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's just faded real bad he did a terrible job on it he missed spots and came back touched it up said he could part it while filled then we got in the pool and your feet would stick to it. Now I believe it is worn out to bad because I couldn't keep it clean at all during the last couple of months of summer. Pool is like a swamp right now. I will never say what I paid but I paid good money for this pool to be painted and I glad he is out of business. I should have sued him but I didn't want the headache and about 6 months after he did it he lost everything due to the bad work he was doing. Came with great references when we decided to use him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.