CYA Off the Charts !

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Began having a problem with small patches of algae in a crystal clear pool. Vacuum every day but its back the next morning. Noticed very high chlorine usage after I had been adding a gallon of bleach a day. Tested CYA and black dot does not disappear at all. Drained and refilled about 12 inches of pool water twice but CYA reading is the same. Question is how in the world does CYA get so high when all I have been doing is adding bleach? We have had above average rain here in Central Florida and also my pool gets pine needles but I get them out quickly. Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing I need to continue the drain and refill. How many times?

Have you used any other chemical product or puck like tablets in your pool? Are you testing the CYA outdoors, with the sun to your back while holding the tube at waist high level?

Can you provide a full set of test results, please?

What a dummy I am ! Good grief ! I was reading it the opposite way. Yes CYA is zero and I need to increase it not decrease it. I'll add one sockful of stabilizer and test again. Thanks. Sheesh !

- - - Updated - - -

Have you used any other chemical product or puck like tablets in your pool? Are you testing the CYA outdoors, with the sun to your back while holding the tube at waist high level?

Can you provide a full set of test results, please?

I have not used anything other than bleach and yes testing outdoors, back to the sun and around waist high level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.