Buying new above ground pool, recommendations?

Feb 11, 2016
Citrus Heights
Getting ready to buy a new pool. I owned an Intex 16' for a year and want to upgrade larger with a deck. Local doughboy dealer has a 28' silver lake model in stock for $2,700 with pump, filter, ladder, liner. After reading around on the site I'm leaning to a salt water system and wanted some advice. Will the above pool be a good salt pool? What is a good swg for above ground pools? Would it be better to buy just a pool and liner and then buy pump, filter, swg separately? I haven't ordered anything and am open to suggestions on what set up would work best, we travel on long weekends frequently and that is why I'm leaning to swg. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Welcome. Doughboy pools are great pools. If you can get a 2speed pump and a large filter, that is the way to go. 2speed to cut down on electric cost. Largest filter you can afford to keep cleaning to a minimum. I prefer DE filter but others like sand and cartridge filters. I'll defer to someone else on recs for salt water generator. I don't own one n still dump chlorine every day or two.

While you're nailing everything down on things needed, add a TF100 Test kit to your pool package. You can find the link in my signature.

So I got some more information from the dealer. The pool comes with a 20mil liner and 1.5 hp hayward pump with large sand filter and ladder. They told me a salt water generator would void a warranty and that even if i upgraded to a resin pool that all of the hardware would rust. Any of you guys with the salt pools run into that problem? Could I get a can of clear coat and spray all of the hardware as I tighten everything down?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

That 1.5 HP single speed pump would be a killer with California electrical rates and may even be against state law. I think California has a law about max size for single speed pumps being 3/4 HP, but that may just apply to in ground pools. As to the large sand filter, large is relative we cant say much without knowing model, or actual size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.