I Have a Bonehead Electrical Question.

White on a 120VAC circuit is the neutral. There is no neutral on a straight 240VAC circuit. Neutral is 120V from each of the lines on a 240V circuit, so it's only needed if you want both 120VAC and 240VAC in the same device.

Well, assuming the installer/electrician did his job correctly, then in a 240V system you only need a neutral (white) wire if there is something in the box that requires a strict 120VAC power source.

So perhaps the 240VAC wires attach to to a multi-tap transformer that supplies all of the necessary voltage levels for whatever is inside the box. Logic boards typically use 12VDC supplies (stepping down to 5V as needed) and the SWG normally needs a 24VDC power supply. AC-to-DC conversions can be done on board the control electronics for either the logic board or the cell power supply.

Just a guess though unless you post a picture of the internal wiring layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks for that. It now makes sense!

I'm installing a dedicated timer for my salt system, since my water solar panels keep the pump running and I can't control my chlorine generation. Opening the box reminded me of this question I'd been wanting to ask.

Thanks again to all.

Is your timer a single pole or dual ?? If single it's only opening the circuit at the timer and both wires are still HOT. One is hot to the timer and the other wire is hot to the pump and back to the timer.
If it's dual pole then it's breaking the circuit on both wires and both of the wires leading out of the timer and to the pump are dead.

I'd still make sure the breaker is off in either case before working on anything.

Breaker will be off.

The pump runs a lot for the water solar, and additionally I have the flow/no flow switch for the SWG in case I set something wrong.

I'm going to redirect the power to the new switch, then back to the SWG. The line/power descriptions are very clear for 240VAC.

Another question regarding L1 and L2 in a 240 VAC circuit.

Do all L1's have to be hooked to L1's, and all L2's have to be hooked to L2's?

For example, I have the power from the source going to the SWG timer, then down to the SWG control box. Should all the connections be L1 to L1 to L1, and L2 to L2 to L2?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question regarding L1 and L2 in a 240 VAC circuit.

Do all L1's have to be hooked to L1's, and all L2's have to be hooked to L2's?

For example, I have the power from the source going to the SWG timer, then down to the SWG control box. Should all the connections be L1 to L1 to L1, and L2 to L2 to L2?

Makes no difference at all. AC connections are not polarity sensitive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.