Automatic pool water leveler

Dec 10, 2015
Colleyville/Texas
I am remodeling my in-ground pool and will be adding a automatic water leveler. There seem to be 2 basic styles. The first style (Pentair and Poolmiser) utilizes a Fluidmaster type float similar to the ones used and newer style toilets. The second style (Pool Corps. "the auto leveler") uses the old style toilet mechanism with a float attached to a horizontal rod.

My initial thought was that the Fluidmaster style would be preferable since:
A. The unit is smaller and therefore less noticeable.
B. The replacement can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.
C. All piping is below ground and eliminates a freezing issue.

However, the company doing my remodel prefers the Pool Corp. unit. They argue that the Fluidmaster style mechanism is a constant problem and is much less reliable than the older style float mechanism. They also point out the Fluidmaster purchased at the hardware store doesn't include the hose attached to the factory unit which channels the water downward vs. the side of the cannister and prevent water from splashing out.

I would appreciate any feedback and/or experience as to reliability of these unit experienced by the Forum community. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I agree. I have the old style Pentair autofill and it has operated flawlessly for over 3-1/2 years. The Fluidmaster valves seem cheap and less robust and they don't seem to last all that long. We have a few in toilets that need some attention or some parts every couple of years in our toilets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.