Pool recommendation and SWG or not?

Feb 10, 2016
Ormond Beach
As signature indicates ready to replace existing buried AGP:
Strongly considering resin frame pools and installing a AquaTrol SWG (chlorine generator) to save trips to pool store.
Could take myself out of the SWG issue if enough concern for corrosion is highlighted?

Pool recommendations:
1) is a stainless service panel a big plus?
2) three pools under consideration and all are between $2000 - $2300 online so cost not a good discriminator.
A) Azor/Caspian
all resin frame, SS panel, style looks a bit "funky"
B) Matrix
all resin frame, NO SS panel, most seems to praise model, concern for SWG usage
C) Saltwater 8000
Resin frame except for steel uprights, SS panel

Thanks for any opinions and recommendations on these models or others I should consider.

Welcome to the forum. Are you getting a package with pump and filter? Or pool only? Most only have single speed pumps. If I had the extra money and half in ground I would look into Radiant pools, but cost bunch more

Welcome to the forum. Are you getting a package with pump and filter? Or pool only? Most only have single speed pumps. If I had the extra money and half in ground I would look into Radiant pools, but cost bunch more

Thanks...great to have a site with knowledgeable people willing to share.

Just looking at pool and liner. Will keep the equipment I already have for now.
Looked at the Radiants and an all aluminum one...Oasis I believe; but just cant justify 3x the price !

As to liners; probably will upgrade to a 25ga(.0223") in the Liberty pattern. Although a few folks seem to rave about the quality of a 25Mil(.025") Brighton Prism pattern mfg. by Latham (about an extra $100 I believe at $430 vs around $330).

Corrosion caused by SWG's is more hype than reality. The levels of salt in an SWG pool are 10X less than seawater (avg. 3500ppm as opposed to 35,000ppm ). A regular chlorine pool (bleach, trichlor, etc) will build up salt levels over several seasons anyway and can easily exceed a few thousand ppm's depending upon how much water is drained each season. It is true that chloride from salt can enhance certain forms of corrosion, but metal corrosion is entirely dominated by pH. As long as you keep your pool water properly balanced and you don't let your pH drop below 7, your metal structures will not corrode from exposure to pool water.

Now galvanic corrosion is always possible whenever dissimilar metals are in contact or if potential differences develop due to improper bonding of the pool equipment. The easiest way to fix this is to simply make sure that all of your metallic components attached to the pool are properly bonded together AND to add a sacrificial zinc (or magnesium) anode to the bonding wire (with the sacrificial anode buried in moist soil). You can even add a sacrificial anode to the AGP's metal shell if you like. A sacrificial anode will be more than sufficient to protect your metal structures from galvanic corrosion.

Please don't be duped by a lot of the online "horror stories" of people saying that SWG's wrecked their pools. More often than not, it was improper pool water chemistry maintenance that caused the problem.

Good luck on your new pool purchase.

Matt

Thanks "JoyfulNoise" for your thoughts on SWG's...it does seem like there is considerable hype over the corrosion issue...so will most likely go with a chlorine generator and monitor it according to the TFP information.

As to the pool decision have not received any direct replies with suggestions, but have found all sorts of views through this forum.

Will have to go with my gut I suppose...which is leaning to the Sharkline Matrix !

Sharkline pools are very nice. If you are burying this new pool, you void your warranty. Just so you know.

Made the plunge; ordered a Sharkline Matrix 24' round x 54" and a supposedly "true 20 mil (.020") Latham liner...Brighton Prism pattern.

Going to go with the AquaTrol SWG based on positive comments indicating additional corrosion was not a significant concern going to SWG.
Still debating whether to get the RJ (no flow switch) or the HP w/flow switch. Partially burying the pool may hinder the ability to place the RJ vertical at the return jet. The HP is way more expensive, but it appears I can buy the HP/control box & buy the flow switch and tee separately cheaper than all together...does not make sense but that's what I see?

Thanks for every ones help and input thus far.

Howdy! I'm replying for two reasons. The first is to give the post a bump so that some one who knows a little more about the difference between the RJ and HP will have a better chance at responding.

The second is to give my two cents, even though I really only have my own limited experience. I have a 2 speed pump, and as my signature suggests, my pool is huge and partially buried. In all honestly, we've now owned the pool for a year now and have yet to run it on anything but the lower flow setting. If you can get the RJ vertical to mount correctly with your buried pool, I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for a flow switch.

Hope that helps, welcome to TFP, and good luck!

FYI... Sharkline is not rated for burial so you will VOID your warranty on the pool if you go through with burying it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Made the plunge; ordered a Sharkline Matrix 24' round x 54" and a supposedly "true 20 mil (.020") Latham liner...Brighton Prism pattern.

Going to go with the AquaTrol SWG based on positive comments indicating additional corrosion was not a significant concern going to SWG.
Still debating whether to get the RJ (no flow switch) or the HP w/flow switch. Partially burying the pool may hinder the ability to place the RJ vertical at the return jet. The HP is way more expensive, but it appears I can buy the HP/control box & buy the flow switch and tee separately cheaper than all together...does not make sense but that's what I see?

Thanks for every ones help and input thus far.

I grabbed a Hayworth HP model.Complete System off of Amazon for under $300.What a buy.

Thanks for the "Warranty" warning; I am not really concerned as for the most part, don't believe companies will stand behind them anyway !
The Matrix is SWG compatible; as to the burying in ground, agree that will void any coverage. I look at the warranty length as a small indicator of how well they expect/hope their product to hold up...not much more.

I have received my Matrix so installation will begin shortly.

The SWG installation may wait for now as they are pretty pricey and do add a significant replacement item. Another thing that's shying me away, is the reasonable recommendation of going 1.5 to 3 times capacity.
That pretty much leads me having to jump to an AquaRite in the 25K to 40K gallon range...around $800 minimum. If I ever found an AquaTrol HP for under $300 like Kplaster, I would gamble and try that 18K gallon one. No luck finding it that cheap yet!

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.