First time Tf100 test results

Jun 24, 2007
Kernersville, NC
Ok so my pool is now full, new install. I used my hose to fill it. PLease help i will have a ton of questions so i just want to thank everyone in advanced. THANKS :mrgreen:

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
TC: 2.0
ph: 7.2
T/A: 20
CH : 30
CYA: 0 (was clear until it was at the top)
Temp: approx 70

I have had the filter running for about two hours this morning before testing. I really hope i did not mess any of these up. :goodjob:

This would be a good sequence.

1. Add CYA to your pool. Use Jason's calulator to figure the dosage to bring you up to 30-40ppm

1A. Use baking soda to raise your TA up to around 80-100. Use Jason's calculator. Check your pH it'll probably rise just a little.

2. For the next 4 days or so, add 2ppm of FC to your pool each day....that gives your CYA time to dissolve.

3. From that point, keep FC around 3-4ppm or so. You'll probably consume 1-3ppm daily

Once your CYA is about 40, your FC around 3, and your pH and TA as mentioned above, you can adjust your CH up to around 200. No rush on that, tho. The CYA is most important so your FC will hold.

Keep reading in Pool School and ask lot's of questions.....you'll get lots of help

Yes, wal-mart sells it. Look for CYA or Stabilizer or Conditioner or Cyanuric Acid, they are typically sold in 3-4 lb cannisters for around $12 to $15. If they don't have it you can buy it from the pool store. Or if you have an Ace hardware, they also sell pool supplies and they may have it.

You can pour it slowly in your skimmer or put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return. If you do put it in the skimmer, don't clean your filter for a week, as it will sit there dissolving. I takes several days to fully dissolve and register on tests, so don't retest for 5-6 days. But assume that it's in there and adjust your FC levels according to the CYA chart after the 2nd day. Even if it dissolves from the sock in 2-3 days, don't test yet, you'll waste your reagent.

Yes, like a tube sock. :wink: I've never heard anyone complain about that....good question tho! The CYA is acidic so it lowers PH but I don't think it's so much that it could damage the liner in that location. I've not seen any posts with that complaint.

and it lays against the wall can it damage the liner?
It's fairly acidic (not good for liners) so most folks put it in a sock and then put the sock into the skimmer.

Or, you could suspend the sock somewhere in the middle of the pool where it doesn't touch.

Or, you could put it directly into the skimmer (pump running) like I do and then know that you can't backwash for around 5 days to insure the CYA is completely dissolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Run your TA test again and confirm your results. That's abnormally low and it's not uncommon for a testing error when you first get your kit.

If it is again 20, then get baking soda and bring it up per my earlier post.

ok so i retook the T/a test and it took 3 drops to make it turn from green to red. so thats T/A = 30
I also took a TC test and it is reading 3ppm as of this afternoon, should i add 2 more ppm tonight as stated above. approx 1/3 bottle of 174oz walmart bleach. correct?
I put in 2 lbs of stabilzer last night as well, as i have read on here better to half dose then to over dose. I think the calc had me as needing 3.5 lbs for my cya.
Should i start on the baking soda now?
Again thats for all the help, i hope one day i can return the favor for some new members :mrgreen:

Yes, now would be a good time to start on the baking soda.

Assuming you are targeting a CYA level of 40, you want to adjust FC each evening to a level that gives you an FC level of 3 or higher the next evening. If it was 3 in the afternoon, you used slightly too low of a value yesterday. I suggest you add 2/3rds of a jug of 6% bleach tonight and then see how things go tomorrow.

jerzeyrep01 said:
Again thats for all the help, i hope one day i can return the favor for some new members :mrgreen:

You are going to find that some of the BEST people in the world hang out here. I'm up the road in Oak Ridge and am on well water... Sometimes that extra calcium adds to the "fun" but the thing is just keep checking and you'll find that it's easy to keep a pool clean and clear :goodjob: !

Just rember, BBB (=simple) is GOOD!

jerzeyrep01 said:
ok so i retook the T/a test and it took 3 drops to make it turn from green to red.
And you put in a fourth drop, with no further color change? Sometimes it turns red but it's not quite all the way there. Still, 30 or 40, not such a big difference, you still need to fix it.
--paulr

ok so i have added 4lbs of baking soda to now have a reading of 50.
I have also taken a TC test in the am and one after i got home from work monday and today.
Mondays reading were 3ppm in the am and 1 ppm in the afternoon
tuesdays reading was 5 ppm in the am and 2 ppm in the afternoon
does that sound good? and how much higher do i need t/a at this point? when should i test for cya again i added about 2.5 lbs on sunday.

PaulR said:
jerzeyrep01 said:
ok so i retook the T/a test and it took 3 drops to make it turn from green to red.
And you put in a fourth drop, with no further color change? Sometimes it turns red but it's not quite all the way there. Still, 30 or 40, not such a big difference, you still need to fix it.
--paulr

this time i took the test the first 3 drops didnt change the 4 drop turn its clear/light gray, then the 5th drop went red/pink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.