Polymer vs Iron Headers

Feb 9, 2016
Santa Ana/CA
We have a 2 year old Raypak CR407L NAT CI IID ASME Low Nox heater that has been nothing but trouble. I've used Raypak heaters for years without much fuss and generally get 5-7 years of use. I am contemplating switching to a heater with polymer headers and wondered if anyone had any comments on this material holding up in commercial environment.

What are the issues you are having with the unit?

I know many commercial settings with these units and they have the polymer headers.

The burners seem to be melting and the cast iron headers are rusting and getting into the water.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't sell or recommend polymer headers for commercial applications especially if it is going on a spa.

I too would like to know the current problems you are having...

The burners seem to be melting and the cast iron headers are rusting and getting into the water. At first I figured it was water chemistry but the reads are pretty consistent.

I would like to see the burners. Is this heater in a room? With venting? Any kind of a "meltdown" is almost always due to an overheat condition (of course). If in a room, i can't stress enough how important proper venting is. This includes "make up" air into the room as well as proper vent sizing.

If not in a room, i would suspect insufficient fuel mix or a "lean" condition (gas line undersized).

Heaters with blowers or fans don't always mean that a heater will be forced to vent properly.

I've seen a few things melt out the burners and one of them was a high gas pressure and that caused the holes in the burners to elongate. If the flames are huge, then you need to cut the pressure back so the flames are nice and blue. I have also seen where the heat exchanger is condensating onto the burners causing the same effect.

Also what Pool Clown said above is an issue as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.