Need to start planning on new pump for spring

May 7, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I noticed while closing the pool last fall, that I had a small leaking coming from my pump. I closed as normal, and figure I would deal with it this spring. The current pump came with the pool when we bought it 3 yrs ago. I have no idea how old it is, but it cost a good amount of money to run all summer. I feel as if it is a great time to replace with a much more efficient model.

My pool is about 35,000 gal in ground with 2" plumbing. I have a hayward 24" sand filter, and a 220,000 NG heater. I have no other features at all with the pool. I am beating my brain trying to figure out what type of pump will be the best for me. I know I don't want a single speed, but the options for variable speed and 2 speed pumps are giving me a head ache. I'm leaning heavily toward a Pentair Intelliflow, but every time I research others, I get so frustrated and confused. Any recommendations you could make as to VS or 2 speed, and brands that people have had good luck with, would be great. Thanks for any help!

Steve

I love my Intelliflo pump. It is more pump than I need and it does everything I ask it to. Being able to dial in the water flow for waterfall, solar, skimming, making chlorine, etc is very handy. It is also incredibly energy efficient. I run it at 1100 rpm most of the time for skimming, filtering and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts of electricity at 1100 rpm. There are many others here who are happy with their Intelliflo pumps. I will buy another the day this one quits working.

The most popular model is the 3hp 011018. Here is one online.
Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

They also make a 1-1/2hp model, Superflo.
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

As for VS pump, I agree with dv. I have an intelliflo too. Man, it's nice! I like being able to change speeds with it to fit my needs. Also, the scheduling feature makes seem almost as if I have an automation system. Very very nice pump. I love the thing and would get another just like it if someone stole it tonight!.

If return on your investment is a concern for you, you probably wont see any for many years going with a VS pump unless your electricity costs more than 20 cents KWH.

A 2 speed would be better investment if ROI is of concern, and would do the job of filtering nicely.

I haven't heard of anyone who has a Pentair Inteliflow that doesn't just love it. I have one and concur that they are great, just realize at about $850 online, plus a set of couplings and adding surge protection for the pump, you are going to wind up at a total cost over $1000 for one. Still more than worth it to me though.

So, the way a 2 speed pump works is on low it moves about half the water volume while using about a quarter of the electricity. Most of the time you run it on low speed for skimming and filtering. Then run it on high only for vacuuming, clean up and when you need extra skimming.

A VS might be preferable if you are considering ever adding a SWG or solar heating. It's important to be able to dial in the right speed and flow and have a built in controller when you have several different flow needs for different tasks. If all you do is filter and occasionally vacuum or clean, you should be happy with a two speed.

Wow, thats great info everyone. I have been leaning towards the Intelliflo. Looks like people that have them, really like them. My only issue is that I need to check what I have as far as electrical going to the current pump. Looks like the Intelliflo needs a 240v, which I really am not sure what I currently have. That would be an issue, as I am really out of room on my breaker box, and would need a lot more money out of pocket to upgrade that as well. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Steve

If you can, look at the wiring for your pump. If it has two black wires it is probably 240 V. If you have a white wire and a black wire, it is probably 120 V. You can also look in your breaker panel and see if you have two breakers marked pool or one breaker. Two breakers would indicate 240 V. It would be hard to imagine that someone would put a 120 V pump in a pool your size, but I could be wrong about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless you are planning to add solar heating or a SWG, I think a Intelliflo is overkill. It would never pay for itself in energy savings and with only two tasks (filtering and cleaning) you only need two speeds. A two speed would save nearly as much energy and they cost a lot less than the $1,000 or more that an Intelliflo will end up costing. And BTW from what I've seen that new 2 VST model is going to be even more expensive. Bargain prices on the 011018 maybe coming, if it is discontinued.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Intelliflo and wouldn't give up for anything, but I have solar heating, in floor cleaning, and a SWG, all of which have different flow/speed requirements.

That is a great question and definitely something to consider. A properly sized pump will be able to have enough water flow to keep the heater happy on low speed. Definitely do some research on the minimum flow requirement for the heater and the flow curve for the pump at low speed. Leave some cushion for a dirty filter.

The real benefit to me of a variable speed pump is that you can dial in the water flow to work with whatever you need it to. For instance, my SWG is happy with the water flow when my VS pump is set at 900 until the filter starts to get dirty so I moved it to 1000 rpm and it was better but I would still get an occasional low flow error. Once I moved it to 1100 rpm it works fine all the time no matter how dirty the filter gets. At 1100 rpm the pump only uses 150 watts of electricity.

I just went home to check my breaker box and my pool pump is on a double 20 amp breaker. I guess that means that I have 230 going to my existing pump???? Should be fine going with the intilliflo 3 hp then. I want to make sure I have a necessary pump if we do choose to go with the SWG in the coming seasons. Thanks

I too had a similar Dilemma and opted for the Superflo which THP is 2.2... It was only $650, a bit cheaper as well and I don't have a need for the coveted Inteliflo. One thing to consider is to check w/ your utility company and see if they have any rebates and what the stipulations are if they do. Fortunately where I live it had both the Superflo & Intelliflo on there and DIY was okay for install. This can possibly save you money as well. Going from a 2.2 HP singlespeed beast to this one has been quite assuring knowing it is only pulling 130 watts at 1000rpm.

Best of luck to you but honestly, 2 speed/variable.... I think you will be quite happy with the new pump that doesn't leak!! You can't really go wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.