Need to start planning on new pump for spring

Great thread. I've read a few here this week. I also have an old leaker, a WhisperFlo with 1hp single speed and I am looking for suggestions.
Also do not know how old it is as we bought this house a year ago.

Thanks to the TFP community, I do not run that pump much at all other than to pump and stir it a bit for the skimmer & chlorine.
Our pool stays clean, clear and balanced. Like many, we got a few compliments on clear water and no stinging eyes.
I know folks say to turn the water, but I do not see a reason given these results. You?

I have hooked the pump switch to our home automation, SmartThings with an intermatic ca3750.
I plan to run it in the morning and evening adjusting to keep clean. And, of course to vacuum.
My goal is to save energy & money. I'd love a two-speed model -- I'd add another relay for speed when vacuuming.

So, water streams out the sides between the pump & motor when the pump starts, but does not seem to leak otherwise.

The Duke Energy rebate on pumps is $300 off a $1500 pump install by their approved vendors... That is a useless promotion!
I found the two speed motor for our pump for a little over $200, but that means an overhaul of the pump. Could be easy, could be massive.
I found a Pentair 1 HP 2 speed for under $600. Your Intelliflo is expensive, not needed and seems like it takes away my approach to control things.
Thoughts? Questions? Help?
Thanks,

George
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<14,000gals, fiberglass, sand filter. 1hp 1-speed WhisperFlo WFE-4 pump.
Fountains that get used once or twice a year.
No heater, SWG or other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.