Air bubbles in some return jets

Dec 17, 2015
Houston TX
Good morning everyone !

I had to come up with a new problem ... I replaced the main pump last week (from 3/4HP to 1.5HP) and I noticed that there are some air bubbles going out of 2 jets (out of 12). They are located in the pool. I have 6 jets in the pool and 6 jets in the spa. I would understand the problem if it was the same issue for all the jets but it is not. I checked the pump and there is absolutely NO air in the pump basket. It is full of water.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
G

How many bubbles are we talking about?

A couple every few seconds? A steady stream of small bubbles? A steady stream of larger bubbles?

I believe this is a single speed pump, so no chance of seeing if it changes at a lower speed.

Are the jets that are emitting the air bubbles the closest (shortest plumbing runs) from the pump or not?

How many bubbles are we talking about?

A couple every few seconds? A steady stream of small bubbles? A steady stream of larger bubbles?

I believe this is a single speed pump, so no chance of seeing if it changes at a lower speed.

Are the jets that are emitting the air bubbles the closest (shortest plumbing runs) from the pump or not?

No it's more a steady stream of small bubbles. And yes they are the two pool jets close to the pump. But the spa jets are even closer and none of them have bubbles. I also noticed that the flow is cloudy at the jet (but that might just be the bubbles that makes it look like it).

- - - Updated - - -

My bet is that it is your SWG. Mine does that.

Yes I heard that coule be an explanation

As you can see there is some kind of by-pass on the return line. The SWG goes out to two different lines (pool and spa).

The return to the pool has a by-pass with a smaller section and a green cap (see bottom right). Do any of you guys know what this is for ? When the cap is loose I can hear some air and when it is tight there are no more bubbles in the pool

View attachment 45085

When I tried to open the cap, there is no water going out of it. I can only hear air.

Also I forgot to mention that there was a Ozone system but I took it out since it was not working

I found this schematic online and it looks like it ...

Capture.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After looking into it some more, I believe that narrow tube with the cap on it is a venturi tube designed to be used with an ozone system.

See here:
Pool Ozonators - DEL Ozone IU-201 Parts Bag for the Eclipse 1-4 - 9-0210/1
DEL Ozone MDV-10 Mixing Degas Vessel for Eclipse 1,2, and 4

If you're only seeing bubbles when that cap is loose, keep it tight. Check any o-rings or seals in the cap. Looks like you're not using ozone now so it's not really doing anything... other than pulling air into your system. These venturi tubes are designed to create a vacuum as the result of water flow through them. If it's not capped tightly, it will suck air into your return side, resulting in bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.