Electric line installation advice needed

Laenini

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Brooklyn Park, MN
Hi Everyone!

After wanting one for many years, my husband and I finally purchased an above ground pool last August. Its a 24' round by 48" deep pool and included in the purchase price was a professional installation. Although the pool was barely up and running before it was time to close it down for the winter, we did use it enough to know that we are thrilled with our purchase!

Spring has arrived, and we are getting ready to open the pool. Since we had such a short time to use the pool last year, we opted to hold off on installing the electric line until this spring (we used a heavy duty extension cord with a GFI attached to hook into our garage electric for the few weeks we ran the pool). But now its time to finish off the job right by having an electrician install a proper, dedicated line. The pool installers last year told us all we needed was a single outlet mounted on a post, and that sounded about right as we just had one plug from the pump going into the extension cord anyway. But now I am wondering if we could use more outlets? We have decided that we want to install a natural gas pool heater (we had somehow thought we could skip putting in a heater, we were dead wrong on that one up here in Minnesota!) So the igniter on the heater will need an outlet too, right? Then it has occurred to me that some sort of timer for the whole system could be pretty handy, so should we should plan another outlet to manage something like that (any advice on what to get for a timer while we are at it?) Are there other needs you more experienced pool owners can think of that might make us wish we had even more plug-ins available for pool equipment? I can just see us having the electrician out over and over again as we dream up more and more accessories to add to our set up. I would love to think ahead enough to avoid that.

I am grateful for any advice, thanks all!

Leanne

Welcome to TFP!

You have several choices. The most expensive and the most flexible is to run a line large enough to power an electrical sub-panel out by the pool with perhaps 50 amps. That way you can add additional circuits as they occur to you with minimal extra effort. The nice thing is that this option isn't really all that much more expensive, and you will have lots of future flexibility.

Electrical outlets and circuits are always in short supply...no matter the location.

I'm on the same page as Jason......cost out the 50 amp panel and put it in if the price isn't absurd.

Ditto above advice...

we have one elec pole by the pool and it has 2 plug recepticle.

Heaters vary, ours is wired somehow, but it doesn't get plugged in, because right now the other plug is open. That part is a mystery to me! :wink:

Hi,

I have an 18X33 above ground pool and I have two 30 amp breakers dedicated to the pool. We are only using one of them so far. There are six outlets with a GFCI and 2 flood lights wired directly with an on/off switch. Two of the outlets are on a post on the pool deck to plug in stereos and computers.

My electrician was my brother (who is an electrical engineer). He provided the wire. The breakers were already in my
breaker box and were extra breakers. The only cost to me was renting a ditch witch to dig a trench, the outlets, and the floodlights. He also ran a water line from the house to the pool for me since I had rented the ditch witch.

I do not know what the cost would have been if I had hired an electrician. Anyway, I would suggest putting in extra outlets for future use.

Susan

Laenini you my be in for a big surprise when you have a electrician over. You might be required to get a electiral permit. We are going through the same with our new pool. The 2008 NEC codes are a pain in the butt and expensive.

If you are digging a trench, you might consider a separate conduit for low-voltage. I did a 40 amp 220V sub-panel (for an inground pool) and a separate 1" low-voltage conduit. I eventually ran 2 Cat-5,(phone and internet), 1 Co-ax,(TV) and two 16ga speaker leads (audio) through the conduit once I figured out what I wanted. The pull was a family affair, one kid and myself feeding wires, one greasing and one pulling.

ywait42 said:
Laenini you my be in for a big surprise when you have a electrician over. You might be required to get a electiral permit. We are going through the same with our new pool. The 2008 NEC codes are a pain in the butt and expensive.

This is correct...my electrical work had to be done by an electrician licensed with the city...unfortunately getting one to come out and do such a small job was a nightmare. No one would call me back...finally I found someone and when I went to apply for my permit, their license had expired. I had to beg for a temporary one time job permit in order for them to finish it work they had already started. Please Please Please, check with your local municipality before you do any work...it will save you headaches in the end! It will make getting permits and passing inspections that much easier.

I would recommend asking for bids on two options: the sub-panel option ( perhaps 60A would be better, especially of your pump requires a dedicated 20A circuit rather than a 15A circuit), as well as simply running (2) circuits (15A or 20A, but you may NEED 20A for your pump depending on its motor size). The second option is your minimum if you want to run anything besides the pump itself, like you said the heater controls. The heater controls consume very little current and that circuit could be shared with a few general purpose outlets as well.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
here is a link to my electrical post....I also have a resin pool and just figured out how to bond it...you'll see a pic where I was able to pull away/bend the resin upright and attach a copper bonding block to the screws holding the steel wall together....attacher #8 copper wire to pool pump and done :goodjob: You'll also see my homemade aerator in action...got the design idea from this forum...as I need to lower my TA :hammer:

enjoy

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

your very welcome...it's flexible pvc (aka tigerflex...glues just like pvc pipe)...I have a inground pump and filter, so I decided to hard plumb it all...the unions will give me the flexibility to add my SWG and solar panel, after I build the deck....I feel ywait's pain...pool permit $100 (included elect permit), Deck permit $150...since I had no room in my breaker box, I needed a 200 amp uprade...the deck...let's not go there...the darn pool is the cheapest part of this whole thing.

I know this is slightly *cough* *cough* not to code, But all my Electrical lines (Pool Feed, Line to my Flower bed 100' from house, line to my Light posts) were all done by the Irrigation company. :wink: Darn only took them probably 30 minutes to do all of it and they did it for FREE.. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Ok.. No flaming.. I know its not code and im a electrician to boot but heck, Do you ever see a mechanics car run right??? :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.