Opening the pool - do I really need to shock

jhirsch1

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
Hi,

I just opened my pool (northern NJ) this afternoon and was wondering if I really needed to shock the pool as I have been reading if all the numbers seem good. I know the CC should be zero, but the .2 could have been my imagination because the water did look clear with a little pink tint.

FC 2.0
CC 0.2
CYA 50
PH 7.4
TA 70
Water temp 54.

I have no problem shocking or putting in the other chemicals I have seen advertised in the pool opening kit....but if it isn't necessary then why bother.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

I would say bump your FC up slightly, then do an overnight test. If it holds, don't bother shocking.

I opened to a residual of 3.5 - clear water. I didn't shock.

Go for it, save yourself the bleach and the hassle. Disregard the .2, anything over .5 CC is cause for shocking. :goodjob:

Don't you love opening to clear water?! :mrgreen:

jhirsch1 said:
Hi,
I just opened my pool (northern NJ) this afternoon and was wondering if I really needed to shock the pool as I have been reading if all the numbers seem good.
FC 2.0
CYA 50

Maybe you don't need to shock, but according to "the FC/CYA table" your FC should be minimum 3.7 and targeted at 5.7.
What's your experience with the heathpump? What's the lowest air temp it can work with? Electric bills costs?

Thanks, I did bring the FC up.

Regarding the heatpump. I am very happy with it. You just need to plan ahead. It can raise the temp from 75 to 80 in a few hours or so. Regarding the cost, I haven't really figured that out yet. With the pump running and air conditioning inside I'm not sure. I assume it costs about $10 a day (just a guess) which isn't bad unless you have it on for every day of the month.

I think it can work once the air is in the 60's. I usually only use it when the air in 80 or more anyway and only to raise the temp to about 80 or so. If it's not that hot no one wants to swim anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.