What is this? Calcium?

Jan 29, 2015
FL
I just noticed this today. I had a new pebble finish put in back in June/July and have kept the PH around 7.2 till Dec/Jan only recently did I move it up to a more normal level. It is currently 7.5, and my Cal is at 350ppm. I just noticed today some sort of white rings developing around the perimeter of the individual pebbles. Anyone know what this is? or what to do about it? In some places its really not that noticeable and in others its worse. It seems to be the most pronounced right below the skimmer.

IMG_2252 by maleora99, on Flickr

IMG_2251 by maleora99, on Flickr

IMG_2250 by maleora99, on Flickr

Also, what type of pebble coating is that as it does not look like a standard PebbleTek (TM) coating. There's a lot of plaster in those pictures and very little exposed aggregate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

This was a NPT stonescapes pebble finish. I had the same questions as you about the amount of exposed pebble - which is much less than the sample board. I was told by a warrently rep and another installer (not the one I used) that this is normal... and that the samples always have much more exposure. Keep in mind these photos are also very close up.

It is possible that there wasn't enough exposure initially - the pool was completed with a hot start up - but again every expert I called for a 2nd opinion told me it looks the way it is supposed to. *shrug*

Anyway...
A fresh run of tests gave the following results
FC 5
CC .5
Cal 325
TA - 60 (this is low)
CYA - 24 (really low)
PH - 7.5

The pool is currently on chlorine - I was going to reactivate my salt system today and was checking the pool before heading out to the store for supplies when I found this. I held off because I didn't want to go messing with any other variables till I could determine what was going on.

Your picture looks nothing like the images on the NPT website. If your entire pool looks like that, then I seriously think the applicator screwed up the aggregate-to-plaster mix.

Have you contacted NPT about this? They should have the final say in what constitutes a proper aggregate density and exposure.

As for the white halo's around the pebbles, it's really hard to say. It almost looks like the plaster has lost/leached its color. If it's raised, then maybe it's calcium deposits from the underlying plaster and the interface between the pebble and plaster is allowing calcium to leach through and form calcium carbonate. I would expect the crevice to eventually seal up and stop growing but it's hard to say.

If you apply a small amount of diluted muriatic acid to the area (like a underwater acid etch) does the white halo go away?

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Unfortunately if you paid for stonescapes pebble this is far from an acceptable application. You should contact the distributor directly and get a third opinion. I agree with above, it looks more like a polished product, maybe Wet Edge Primera Stone.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.