My Pump Installer Refuses to Provide a Receipt for My Pump

Dec 26, 2015
Glendale, CA
I had a Pentair VS pump installed back in December ($1500 installed), and I've been asking for the original receipt for the pump ever since so that I may apply for warranty and apply for a utility discount (both are explicit that an original receipt is required.) The installer keeps sending me invoices which say "install energy efficient pump" and that's it. He says that it's ridiculous for me to ask for the receipt, and no business should/would provide the cost of what they paid for their products. I say that the receipt is the only way I can satisfy my warranty and rebate requirements, and the only way I can lawfully show that the pump belongs to me. I'm relatively sure that he gave me a used pump, and not producing the receipt is him trying to cover his deceit, but I have no proof.

TO complicate matters, the installer is my former pool guy who I fired after a series of unprofessional conduct and technical errors (this pump debacle was the final straw.) My view is that I need that receipt to show that the item is rightfully mine. The installer says that anyone who has questions about the pump can call him - an unacceptable proposition for me. So we're at a point now in which I'm withholding his final payment for pool cleaning in January, and he's withholding the receipt that I want. As if this weren't ugly enough, I've already drafted a letter of intent to collect, and I'm planning on taking him to small claims court to get a new pump installed given that I can't trust his equipment or handy work (the pump already has a discharge leak not two months into the install.)

I'm curious if the receipt thing is common practice in the pool care arena. If I'm being unreasonable, I'd like to know before I stand in front of a judge and look like an idiot :silent: Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Perhaps an invoice with model #, serial # and your address would suffice for Pentair?
This is what I would ask for. If you are in fact asking that he detail his cost I have nevere seen any business do that and agree with his statement that "no business should/would provide the cost of what they paid for their products."

Have you tried just filling out the Pentair On-Line warranty registration form? Pentair Registration Page

***************** On Edit

After reading ewkearns response below their may be some confusion as to "original receipt". The receipt he gave you is your "original receipt" (you don't need his receipt from his distributor) and if it has identifying information (model/serial number) should suffice for your warranty and utility rebate.

I think I would try to "head this off at the pass" and contact Pentair to see what their minimum standards are for an "original receipt." I don't think Pentair means the receipt from the installers purchase.

I do believe, however, that he should have listed the model and serial number on your invoice. His reluctance to do so may be simple obstinance or it may indicate your pump isn't "new." I'd have the model and serial number ready, if you call Pentair, and have them verify manufacture date. They may take what you already have as acceptable proof-of-purchase and the pump issue, at least, would be solved.

If not, you tried......

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Here's what Pentair's registration page asks for:

• Proof of Purchase (sales receipt)
  • Proof of Installation (installation receipt)
  • Rebate Confirmation (print out of your confirmation after submitting this form)

I have the proof of installation, but I don't have the proof of purchase. I'll ask them if something my guy gave me with the s/n would suffice for a sales receipt.

I bet he is not a Pentair qualified installer. You don't care about what he paid or who he bought it from for your warranty. What they care about is whether it was installed by a qualified installer. You just need him to give you anything showing the serial number and model of the pump invoiced to you. But your installation receipt must be from a qualified installer. Otherwise you have only a 60 day warranty.

It was said above. All you need is an invoice from your Pool Guy on their letter head that says they installed such and such pump with serial #... blah.. blah.. blah... That will satisfy Pentair's requirement that a professional installer installed the pump. That will also satisfy your Electric Service provider if a rebate is available for your pump.

While I agree that he shouldn't have to provide his wholesale receipt or price, he should be able to break out the retail cost of the parts and labor (in some states, that breakdown matters for sales tax determination if labor is covered or not). That's pretty standard in service industries that provide parts, I'd think. Something like:

Pentair IntelliFlo VS 011018 $XXX.XX
Installation Labor $YYY.YY
Tax $nnn.nn
-------------------------------------
Total $ZZZ.ZZ

You (or Pentair or the utility) don't really care about the exact breakdown (within reason), but the above invoice is both a clear receipt for the pump (the receipt is from him because you purchased it from him) and proof of installation and seems like a reasonable thing to ask for. I don't even know that the serial number is required on the invoice, though it can't hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey hopefully I can help you. You should be able to get the serial number off the side off the pump. Usually It's located right under the inlet of the pump. It should be A silver sticker with a p/n number, model of pump with speed and serial number and also date it left the manufacturer. If that sticker isn't on that pump then that would void your warranty.

I do warranty work for Pentair and you pretty much need 2 things to qualify for the warranty.

A licensed & insured supplier sold you the product.
A licensed expert installed the product.

If you do not meet thous requirements then you won't get the warranty. So say he bought it off the internet and not from a distributor, there would be no warranty.
So any real pool place you would go to would give you a receipt and would register it for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.