What will it take to clean the dirt from my pool?

Feb 1, 2016
AZ
I currently use a Pentair Kreepy Krauly (KK), a Dolphin Nautilus (DN) and a Pool Blaster Catfish (PBC) and due to "wear and tear" all of these pieces of equipment need replacement.
The KK is worn on the handle parts because it rubs against my step, the DN is worn on the corners for the same reason and the PBC button doesn't turn off (thought they had this fixed but it's not).
The region I'm in blows a lot of small particle dirt into my pool it seems continuously throughout the year and I have to run my pool pump longer just so the KK can clean all of it. I have a leaf catcher attached and I use a stocking/sock to help catch the finer particles so it's not clogging my filter too quickly. I do the same for the PBC so it sweeps up the fine dirt.
I would really like to find one pool cleaner, either robotic or side pressure, that will effectively clean my pool without constant attention or additional methods. I don't know if this is possible, but I would like suggestions. Realistically, the price to replace all three is high so if one cleaner does the job but it's pricey (and lasts longer than 9 months), I want to consider it.
Thank you for your input.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Generally we find that folks who come to TFP complaining of as you put it "small particle dirt" are actually having an issue with algae, not with cleaner or filters. Your listing a "Pureion Wave water management" system in your pool reinforces this in my mind.

To quote an earlier thread regarding this and similar systems:
Neither "pureion" nor "KrystalKlor" are registered company names or establishments with the EPA (PPLS database or NPIRS database) and any "device" making pesticide claims needs to have an EPA establishment number on the label (it need not be registered as a pesticide). Saltwater chlorine generators all have such numbers (again, not pesticide registration, but establishment registration).

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. I would recomend getting a TF100 Test kit and move to a chlorine based pool care system.

Thanks for the thought Tim, but it really is DIRT. We have monsoon season in the winter and summer but often instead of getting rain we have DUST storms and windy days with blowing dust. I've had my Pureion water management system for 2 years which resolved an issue I was having with algae but that really isn't the topic of this thread. All I can do is assure you it's dirt and I am looking for a reliable cleaner for silty dirt.

Several of the newer robots provide ultra-fine mesh screens to pick up the finest silt. If you are sure it is silt, they will get it. The Dolphin line is one brand....I am sure others do as well.

Patrick_B lives in west texas and gets a lot of dirt. He has a robot that he says does a good job on the dirt. Can't remember which one tho.

Indeed.

If you are after dirt and fine, fine dust the cartridge filters on the Maytronincs Dolphin cleaners does and unbelievably good job. As DV says, we have a plenty of it, and not just wind storms. It's just a part of everyday life here. I'll post back with some pictures for excellent proof. I'm having a bit of trouble with my photobucket albums.

A. Naides, I know exactly what you mean. The mud in this filter below if formed from the finest of dust/dirt that blows around in the wind when it gets up around here. If I let the pool go, the same thing naturally settles in even when it isn't windy and gives the same result. I understand your pain completely! The performance of the Dolphin M5 with cartridge filters installed is one of the reasons I give them such high praise. This stuff is very difficult to vacuum out because it poofs into a cloud with the slightest agitation, but the Dolphin goes along and just sucks it right up. It's really amazing how well it does.

DolphinM5rs2_zps956aacd4.jpg

Thank you all for your understanding! I have to say Patrick, your filters look a lot like mine--dirt, leaves and all! The frame looks a little different--what model of Dolphin do you have? Is it the Nautilus? I had very good success with mine for about 9 months and now it seems that the wear and tear it gets from crawling on/over the steps and apparently working in the corners has diminished it's effectiveness. In particular, the front corners have worn down to virtually nothing, the cable gets tangled within 6 hours and I have to direct it with my pool brush.
Am I missing something? Would it make more sense to just purchase replacement parts if they have them? Or is there a better model that you might recommend from Maytronics?

Also, when you clean your filters, do you just wash them down with hose water?

Sorry Patrick, I just noticed that you said you have a Dolphin M5. Could you still comment on it's durability and cleaning of the filters for me? Your input is greatly appreciated!

First off, I'd like to welcome you to TFP!

There are multiple different things that could come into play here. The clear three are dirt, pollen, or algae. Often these three show many of the same signs. Being the time of year it is it points us towards dirt, however lets make 100% sure it isn't anything else first.

Can you post a set of test results from your personal kit?? Also, a photo of you water will help us better see what you are working with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your understanding! I have to say Patrick, your filters look a lot like mine--dirt, leaves and all! The frame looks a little different--what model of Dolphin do you have? Is it the Nautilus? I had very good success with mine for about 9 months and now it seems that the wear and tear it gets from crawling on/over the steps and apparently working in the corners has diminished it's effectiveness. In particular, the front corners have worn down to virtually nothing, the cable gets tangled within 6 hours and I have to direct it with my pool brush.
Am I missing something? Would it make more sense to just purchase replacement parts if they have them? Or is there a better model that you might recommend from Maytronics?

Also, when you clean your filters, do you just wash them down with hose water?

Sorry Patrick, I just noticed that you said you have a Dolphin M5. Could you still comment on it's durability and cleaning of the filters for me? Your input is greatly appreciated!

It's not bad at all really. Hard spray from the hose end nozzle cleans them right up. Durability is fabulous. I have no experience with any other cleaners so I am very Biased about these. I've said countless times before that no product I've ever purchased has impressed me more than this one. I've also said how much this helps in terms of aggravation with pool care. I truly wouldn't want to be without one, and having it makes things much more enjoyable.

Just to touch on your first post and to clarify to newer owners, live Algae is never something that will be cured with filtration but rather, proper dosing and control of Chemistry. For sure they help getting out the dead stuff, but that which lives must be killed off with Free Chlorine.

Thanks for the recommendation of the M5, especially from someone in the same state. :cool: I've been looking at the discussions comparing M5 to Z5 and doing some further research.

It seems in this thread that, before I invest money for this particular cleaner, it's important to identify my problem as real dirt. I normally test my water with an OTO kit (not the FAS DPD) that includes pH and then also test for phosphates, so I have ordered a TF-100 kit that was recommended by Tim5055 and will get those results posted as soon as I get the kit (along with the pictures).

Thanks for the recommendation of the M5, especially from someone in the same state. :cool: I've been looking at the discussions comparing M5 to Z5 and doing some further research.

It seems in this thread that, before I invest money for this particular cleaner, it's important to identify my problem as real dirt. I normally test my water with an OTO kit (not the FAS DPD) that includes pH and then also test for phosphates, so I have ordered a TF-100 kit that was recommended by Tim5055 and will get those results posted as soon as I get the kit (along with the pictures).
We generally don't recommend bothering with phosphate testing. Phosphate testing and testing for TDS (total dissolved solids) are things many pool stores use as a "sales by fear" method. They will say your Phos is "X" and we recommend it be kept below "Y" and then sell you a phosphate remover.

Their thought process is phosphate is algae food and I agree, yes it is. But, if you eliminate the algae and maintain the proper level of free chlorine in the pool, no matter how much "food" is available there will be no algae to consume it.

I don't want to dissuade you from getting a cleaner. I love my M5. I am always amazed at the stuff it picks up that I didn't even see on the bottom.

+1 on the dolphin series ...mine is an m4, 1 version earlier than Patrick's. My pool is bordered by a high terrace so I get a bit of a "bowl" effect of dirt, larvae from caterpillars, and every kind of organic debris imaginable. The M4 nails it handily. After 2 vigorous seasons it still runs like a champ, and I run it just about daily. This fall, i did have to replace the "spring mesh" cartridge covers after a particularly heavy leaf and twig season ( yes, it picks up leaves and twigs), but that's been it.

This fall, i did have to replace the "spring mesh" cartridge covers after a particularly heavy leaf and twig season ( yes, it picks up leaves and twigs), but that's been it.
I actually picked up a second set of frames and an additional set of mesh covers so durning the "heavy" times I can jsut swap them out and sent the robot back to work. With lots of trees and no protection lots of stuff blows into my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.