seasoning infrared grill

banditig

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2015
Ohio
I have a char broil infrared gas grill with stainless steel vavy grates with small holes. I used canola oil like the manual sugested to "season" it like iron skillets. Now the grates are black and some holes plugged up after just a few uses. Did I use too much oil or get it too hot?

Think of it as grandma's old cast iron pan. That coating of baked-on oil is an ancient form of teflon. Now, plugged holes? Yeah, maybe a little too thick. Two light coats of oil is better than one thick. I think you could just take an ice pick and carefully clear the holes.

I have a Char Broil 3 burner infrared and can't remember if I seasoned mine or not. I thought seasoning was done with oil and salt. Mine has the wavy emitters with cast iron porcelain grates on top. I turn it up to max and let it smoke away before using it every time. When it's real hot I give it a scrub with a stainless steel brush and then spray it with plain water from a spray bottle which turns instantly to steam.

I like my teriyaki and regularly do a brined chicken in ponzu, olive oil and fresh herbs. When I get arround to cleaning the emitters I need to use one of my old chisels and a lot of elbow grease, they're never going to look like they did when the they where new.

I noticed just then when going back to the char broil site that my emitters are upside down with the holes on the bottom. Next time I clean it I'll turn them around but I doubt it will make much difference since my holes are almost always blocked anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.