Algae Issue Help

May 15, 2015
Chandler
I started using the TFP method last spring and through summer and fall. This winter I had decided I was going to drain my pool and start over with fresh water because I my CYA was too high because of the powdered shock and tabs I had used previous to beginning this method.
So...I wasn't as diligent in the winter since I figured I was going to start over anyway, and now I have algae on the side of my pool. I'm going to drain, etc. here in the next few weeks. Now I'm worried that just draining won't solve algae problem. Do I slam before I drain to make sure algae isn't in filter, etc. or do I still wait until after? Thoughts?

if you are draining because your CYA is high, then it will be much easier to treat the algae after you refill with water and can get the CYA in the 30 range. You should take the opportunity to really scrub the surfaces, check your main drain and scrub all the crevices and plastic you otherwise couldn't reach, maybe even get behind your light and scrub with some diluted bleach water.

as far as the filter, with the pump running all the time during a SLAM, and frequent brushing, your SLAM level bleach water will kill the algae whether it's in the filter or in the pool. As the filter, um, filters the dead algae it will need to be backwashed (see SLAM instructions). If you can physically remove some of the algae from the walls and such during the drain, you might save yourself a few backwashes.

Living in Chandler, you may not normally have a water table concern, but like WASP said, probably not a bad idea to confirm. Better safe than sorry we always say. Even if you didn't go all the way down that low, I suspect you would still get your CYA in a much more manageable position for the SLAM. CYA of 30 is ideal, but even if you got CYA to 40 or so that's better than what you probably had. You'll just use a little more bleach for the SLAM is all. In the summer you'll probably bump your CYA to at least 50 anyways with that crazy sun. Your neighbor Buckeeye has you off & running. Can't emphasize enough taking this opportunity to cleaning all the nooks & cranny's BC mentioned above. Save your chemicals - drain/lower first, then treat the fresh water. :) You'll do fine. Have a nice evening.

1st - Start soaking a sock with stabilizer ASAP so you can get CYA to an initial target of 30ppm. It (CYA) won't show on tests right away, so use the Poolmath Calculator to add the desired amount and treat the water as adjusted to 30 ppm.
2nd - Once water reaches your skimmer and you can run the pump, check/adjust pH to 7.2-7.4 before starting the SLAM. Don't test pH anymore until after the SLAM.
3rd - Add bleach to an initial 2-3ppm on the first day, then begin to increase to your SLAM FC level of 12. Use regular liquid bleach (generic is fine).

From there, maintain the FC of 12 and follow the SLAM instructions to the letter until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link in my sig). Hopefully the process will go well for you since you had to do a drain anyways. But don't take this lightly, read the SLAM page carefully and it will work. After the SLAM, we can talk about final chemical adjustments.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Edit: Cross-posting going on! As to steps to take: It depends.... Do you have test results on your fill water? If so, go ahead and post those as well as your test numbers after it is refilled. (You may have some residual CYA so testing wouldn't hurt before addding more). Then we can walk you through the steps. What testkit do you have?

I bought the one on this site. I haven't begun to refill yet so I can run test once info that right? Or are you saying run a test on the water that comes out of my hose now to have the info in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. If you are worried about the sock (with granules) resting against the side of your pool, you can have it lean out a bit via a pole or even with a floater. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust, so don't bother testing CYA again for about a week. Just assume it's 30 ppm and press-on.

You can get stabilizer at Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot's pool section. It will say Stabilizer or Conditioner on the bottle. Look for the active ingredient "Cyanuric Acid". That's it. Should be about $16 or so. No need to wait. As soon as the water gets up there, drop the sock in and start soaking. You can't adjust the pH or FC until the water reaches the skimmer so you can turn on the pump and circulate water. But once the water starts moving, do steps 2 & 3 I noted above to test/adjust pH and FC and you can begin.

Myers, I'm have to log-off for the evening. If you still have questions, others will assist. We all pitch in. :) Since you're not filling until tomorrow, I would suggest picking-up the supplies (stabilizer, muriatic acid, and some regular liquid bleach (plain! NOT scented or splashless). Take this time to read the notes above and the SLAM page and it will all work out fine. Testing your source water from the hose is fine since it might be good practice and give you an idea of what is going into the pool. If you did a 100% drain, I suspect this will go quite well for you. Enjoy your evening, and we'll hit this hard tomorrow when you begin the fill. Have a good evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.