Well, it's started again.....

Well, it's started again..... weather has warmed significantly and we're beginning to see those big rains of Spring. So, I removed the first guest of the season from the skimmer:

http://bio.davidson.edu/herpcons/herps_of_NC/anurans/Rancap/Ran_cap.html

Ugh! I hate frogs in my pool.

Last year I fished out four of them. I found two of them together once in the pool getting....ah-hem....."frisky" with one another. I yelled at them to get a room somewhere else....I had nightmares of waking up one morning to find an explosion of tadpoles forming in my pool.

And, dang!! Those things can move under water. Sheesh, it was quite an effort trying to capture them with the leaf rake...

We're surrounded by swamp and the Shallotte river... we get lots of guests. Deer, lizards, alligators (none in the pool, thankfully), raccoon, opossums, goofy tree climbing crabs, frogs, toads, snakes, and scary big bugs and spiders. A couple of weeks ago I found raccoon tracks leaving the pool (saved me the trouble of getting him out). When it rains really hard, the critters get confused and just wander everywhere. Our last huge rain event (the one that drowned Columbia, SC) brought 16-17 frogs into the pool over one night. I never have figured out what, about the skimmer, so fascinates spiders, but I toss out 2-3 every morning, in the summer.

Oddly, although we have anoles plastered all over the house and running across the deck, I've only had one go swimming and I was standing at the other end of the pool when he splashed into the water. The other lizards have been more well behaved.....

green_anole_lizard.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Copperhead? Scary! They are SO pretty but mean! I found one on our property. He no longer lives here or any where for that matter.

How long do you think it will take to get the rest of the nest? What do they do each month? How many have they found so far?

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.