How deep for tanning ledges?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Our pool will have a 8x6 tanning ledge, and I was talking to the PB and he said it was drawn to be 9" deep with 6" of water.
I'm wondering if 6" of water is deep enough? If you have a tanning ledge, how deep is the water and is that the right depth for you, or would you like it to be another depth?

Mine is 6ish and more would be better. There are lots of people with 6"-18" deep ledges and 9-12" seems like it would be best to me. Maybe sit down and measure where the water will be at different depths and if you already have an idea of what chaises or furniture you might put on it. We don't have furniture on ours. We stand and sit on it and dive from it and our dogs stand on it.

Mine is 6ish and more would be better. There are lots of people with 6"-18" deep ledges and 9-12" seems like it would be best to me. Maybe sit down and measure where the water will be at different depths and if you already have an idea of what chaises or furniture you might put on it. We don't have furniture on ours. We stand and sit on it and dive from it and our dogs stand on it.

I was thinking more also, but the PB was worried that the bubblers wouldn't look right. Hmmm, I don't even know that I need the bubblers. Opinions?

My ledge is closer to 16 inches. When we put our standard deck recliners on the ledge the water comes right level with the seats. We are happy with the deeper water on the ledge. We also have a bench at the same level along the length of the pool. It seems just right to sit on the bench and set your drink on the deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you use the sun deck with 9" water? Do you use loungers? In your opinion, are the bubblers of any use with 9" deep water?
Thanks

I have not used any lounge chairs yet. Mainly kids play area for now but 9" is not that deep so low lounge chairs should work fine. Yes, the bubblers work just fine with 9" of water. I mean they aren't spraying out like a fountain but they bubble enough to give the effects and sound I want and plenty of fun for my kids.

Same issue/questions came up in our design. We wanted a deeper shelf and bubblers, but bubblers seem to work best (we are told) at 9" or less depth. So this is what I did in our design (still waiting on permits). In the design, I put a 2' wide first step as the entry to our sun shelf and am going to put a bubbler right on the edge of that step. That way we get at least one bubbler in very shallow water. I still have one other bubbler on the main shelf as well in the deeper water. I'll ask for them to be run on their own lines with valves so I can adjust them independently. Maybe the deeper one we just leave off. Who knows. That was the best compromise I could come up with.

As far as the actual main sun shelf depth, we wanted a deeper one then optimal bubbler depth so we are doing 12". I would even go a little deeper than that if I could, but it's for the dogs as much as it us for us, so going much deeper than that is not practical for the smaller dogs. We did however plan for a decent amount of 18"-ish deep bench seating so we will end up with the best of both worlds.

When it came to depth, ignoring the bubbler issue, these are the questions I asked myself:

Need it shallow for little kids? - No. Deeper then.
Are we going to put a chez lounge on it and tan, thereby wanting to keep the lounge webbing out out of the water so you don't drown when face down? - No. Deeper then.
Do we want more than just the bottom of our posteriors to be wet when sitting in beach style chairs? Yes. Deeper then.

I kind of seeing us using the sun shelf space when we want to be "in the pool" but also read a book or have an iPad. For me personally, that means water up to just below my waist when reclined on a low chair. 16" is the depth I would actually go with if I could, but again dogs... So 12" it is.

plat.

Not sure of the exact depth.. but the one we are in the process of building is a full step in depth below the first entry step into the pool. I wanted to be able to sit on the ledge and be chest high in the water. If I want to tan I'll sit in the sun out of the pool... not really any desire to just get my butt wet while tanning.

6D1D5D9F-28CA-43DC-9CCD-9DCA5A367496_zpsfwl94ns1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.