[FINISHED] New Pool Build in Highland Village TX (Suburb of Dallas, TX)

Re: New Pool Build in Highland Village TX (Suburb of Dallas, TX)

Yea! Big shiny star for me!

I had to run home from work for a sec and as I was leaving the plaster crew was driving up. Woohoo!

- - - Updated - - -

Question. So is there an average that the TA will drop per 0.1 drop in pH. So my tap has a pH of 8.0 and TA of 140. By adding enough acid to bring the pH down to 7.6. What would my TA drop to roughly?

If you look at the bottom of the pool math calculator there is a way to determine the effect of adding chemicals based on your pool volume. (Kim taught me that).

It says to lower your pH from 8 to 7.6 you would have to add 11oz of 31% MA. Then you enter 11oz of 31% MA to the drop down and it specifies that your TA will drop by 3.9

What I would do is lower your pH to 7.2. On new pools it goes up drastically the first few months. Then every time it hits 7.8 lower it back to 7.2. Keep doing that and your TA will drop. Then you'll have to start adding baking soda. It won't take long trust me. I have probably added about 30 pounds of baking soda to my pool since it was started in November.

What I would do is lower your pH to 7.2. On new pools it goes up drastically the first few months. Then every time it hits 7.8 lower it back to 7.2. Keep doing that and your TA will drop. Then you'll have to start adding baking soda. It won't take long trust me. I have probably added about 30 pounds of baking soda to my pool since it was started in November.

Lowing the pH to 7.2 is a little extreme unless you are trying to lower the TA. The rate of pH rise is significantly higher at low pH levels since the carbon dioxide content of the water is unstable with the content in the atmosphere. I'd suggest maintaining a pH of 7.6-7.8 and letting the TA settle in the 60-70 range. Adding baking soda will raise the TA which allows the pH to rise higher and more quickly. By maintaining a higher pH with a lower TA, the acid additions should be much smaller and very less frequent.

Well we had a little delay with some of the recent rain but we are back on track with final finishes. So they plastered a week ago and then we had the rain. On Wednesday and Thursday they prepped for Aquabright application. Today they installed the first coat. When I got home from work they were about halfway through the first coat. There is a hopper with a powdered plastic. Seemed to be air fed to the applicator which is basically a flamethrower. It melts the powder onto the previously prepped surface. It was a pretty fast process as well. They will come back tomorrow for the 2nd and 3rd coat and then its time to fill with water! Main pool is "Mediterranean Blue" and sun deck is "sahara sand"

Here is a short video of the application I took today.

Ecofinish application - YouTube

I so want to go run my hands over it and see what it feels like! When can you touch it? I wonder if it will be slippery?

You may be a trend setter!

Kim

I so want to go run my hands over it and see what it feels like! When can you touch it? I wonder if it will be slippery?

You may be a trend setter!

Kim

You can touch it pretty much immediately. Just takes a couple minutes for it to be cool to the touch. Once they are done tomorrow we add water pretty much right away.

Its relatively rough right now. Kinda like sandpaper. He said when they do the final coat they can finish with a rougher or smoother texture, our choice. Smooth texture should be like orange peel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And....drum roll

Water%20in_zpsxksrxp1v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Water is going in!

How sweet it is! How does it feel now?

How long did he last in the water? BURRRRRRR

Kim

Feels good. 4 weeks and 5 days from dig date to water. Still have to do a few things, like re-sod the yard and have our "pool school" appointment to learn how to operate the equipment and the automation.

He actually stayed in it a lot longer than I thought he would. but he never got more than about calf deep.

Tonight he told me "Dad, tomorrow you're going to get in the pool."

Yeah, how many people can lay on their backs on the bottom of their pool with their heads above water!

Pool is full, sod has been placed. Working on the Chemistry now. Here is a short video of the completed pool.

Now on to chemistry. Should I start a new thread in the chemistry section or am I good staying here?
We had our "pool school" on Thursday.

Here are the numbers prior to pool school.
That is the day we turned on the SWG. 8 hour pump cycle with 70% chlorine generation.

Thursday Evening (prior to activating SWG)
FC = 0
CC = 0.5
pH = 8.0 (maybe higher)
CYA = 0
TA = 130
CH = 100

ADDED 1 gallon of muriatic acid

Friday evening numbers (bubbler and waterfall running to aerate)

FC = 10
CC = 0.5
pH = 7.3
CYA = 0
TA = 70
CH = 100

Friday night added 4 lbs of "poollife" stabilizer and conditioner. According to my numbers this should raise CYA to about 35-40 ppm (Don't want to overshoot)

This morning(Saturday) I check pH, FC and CYA just to check.

pH = 7.2
FC = 10
CYA = 100

Did adding CYA have that much of an impact on my pH?
I've turned my SWG down to 40% to see about dropping free chlorine.
CYA, is that a faulty result due to being only 12 hours since addition of solid stabilizer? No way it should have raised the ppm that much.

Thanks

Keeping it here is fine.

Adding CYA does not impact PH much. Don't retest CYA for about a week. Why are you aerating? That raises PH.

So, here is what you want, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs and here are the products you need, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

With a new plaster pool your PH is going to continuously want to rise for a year or more while the plaster cures. The SWG will also cause PH to rise. It is very important to check PH often, understand your pool and PH and keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Raise CH to at least 250 right away, see pool chemicals link above on how.

Leave your TA alone. It might drop some with acid additions, let it. TA at 60 or 70 will help to stabilize your PH.

Maintain your FC according to your CYA and this chart, Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it above minimum at all times to keep it sanitized and algae free.

The plaster is effectively sealed behind the Ecofinish. Its' curing process will not alter the pool chemistry at all. That is one of the benefits of this new type of finish. Anyway, that is why I'm aerating. My target pH is 7.6 I'm planning on making a run to the pool store for calcium today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.