Refilled Pool

kealey

Feb 3, 2016
Tucson AZ
I have a 12,000 gallon pool that has just been drained and refilled. I would like to start to get it balanced. How should I start. I would like to use liquid chlorine.
I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I will test the water and post the results. I was just wondering where I should start?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

We'll be able to help a lot more when we get some numbers, but I think I'd start with a couple of quarts of 8.25% bleach and then about half that much, per day, until the test kit comes. You have some pretty warm days coming up and we don't want any algae drama getting started.

Your first mission is chlorination and getting the water balanced. You'll have a leg up on the chlorine, so the first important number is going to be pH. After that, we'll help you ease into CYA, alkalinity and [maybe] calcium hardness..... which brings me to the point of asking you to complete your signature.... for example, is this vinyl, plaster, of fiberglass.... if vinyl, you may not be concerned with the CH, at all.....

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Starting by ordering a good kit was first.

That done, carefully read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Next, post your first set of test results as soon as your kit comes in......that starts the chemistry ball rolling.

I know you are anxious to do SOMETHING to your pool so put about 1/2 of a small jug of clorox in there each day until your kit arrives.

Is there a difference between household bleach and the liquid chlorine that you buy at Lowes? Is one preferable to the other?

Thanks

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Hoping to get my pool up and running without spending too much!

Welcome to TFP!

The only difference between bleach and liquid chlorine is the chlorine percentage. Bleach is usually 8.25% if concentrated and 6% if not. Liquid chlorine is usually 10% chlorine. So, whichever is more convenient and a better deal.

Hi! You are off to the right start! If only the test kit was there yesterday LOL

Watch Lowes and Home Depot chlorine as it might have been sitting for a while. Check the date code. Walmart and Target bleach has a high turn over so it is almost always safe.

IF your pool store is close and easy to get to you can use their chlorine. You will put a deposit down on the jugs and get them refilled as needed.

Kim

Hi! You are off to the right start! If only the test kit was there yesterday LOL

Watch Lowes and Home Depot chlorine as it might have been sitting for a while. Check the date code. Walmart and Target bleach has a high turn over so it is almost always safe.

IF your pool store is close and easy to get to you can use their chlorine. You will put a deposit down on the jugs and get them refilled as needed.

Kim

Hi Kim,
I also want to purchase some chemicals. What else will I need? Can I avoid pool shops? I would love to stop using shock and other expensive chemicals.

Paul

Most of the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart. Acid can be purchased at HD, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or the pool store. I never buy any of the recommended chemicals at the Pool Store except for maybe muriatic acid. Bleach will be your most important weekly purchase, so shop around for the best deal. :)

Aaahhh , there's Kim! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you elect to go with the high strength stuff, see if you can forge a friendship with local pressure washer companies. Locally, I have found 15% strength (128 oz,) for a little less than I paid for 8.25% (121 oz.), last season. I have found this calculator to be a great help. One word of warning: all liquid chlorine has a half-life and "stocking-up" is not a good idea.... the higher strength chlorine depreciates quicker than low strength.

For chemicals, Bleach and maybe a gallon of Muratic acid will be the two most common. I won't go out and buy anything else on that list unless you need it. No reason for you to stock it when you can walk in to Walmart, grocery store, big box store and find it on the shelf. My 2 cents.

The calculator ewkearns posted is great. It allows you compare the price for the bleach per oz no matter how different the size container or the strength. It's really hard to tell if 128 oz 8% is the better buy compared to 96oz 10% unless you have a handy app like that to break down the price so you're doing apples to apples.

Welcome to the forum! Next would be to bring your test results all within the guidelines the forum suggests. Those ranges and a short description of each parameter can be found by reading the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

I assume your water is clear, is that correct?

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.

you might need to do the cya in increments...I have a 13,000 gallon pool (close to yours)
and it needed 4 lbs of cya to get to the minimum of 30.

Unless you want to deal with a knee high sock, 1lb at a time is all that will fit in a regular sock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.