Liner corrosion, advice appreciated

micah

Feb 3, 2016
Boston, MA
First time poster here but this forum has been very helpful to me, thanks everyone for your great advice! Now on to my issues...

I live in the Boston suburbs and I purchased a house back in August with an in-ground pool, so I am still a real beginner when it comes to pools. The liner is in very good shape except for at the very bottom of the deep end, where it is very scaly, faded and seemingly corroded. The previous owner said that one of his grandkids was playing with the chlorine duck and accidentally released a bunch of powdered chlorine into the pool which settled into the bottom of the deep end and discolored the bottom. The pool started losing water in early September, much faster than evaporation (over an inch a day) so before I closed the pool I had a leak detection company come out to investigate. The leak tech discovered that one of the return lines (which is not connected to the pump) is leaking and suggested that I plug up that return line for good. Then when he was looking for tears in the liner, he noticed the scaly bottom of the deep end and became very concerned. He said the last time he saw that issue with another customer it was sucking up all the water and they had to get the liner replaced. He couldn't tell if it was currently sucking up water but he said he hoped I didn't take off the cover in the spring to an empty pool. So I closed the pool in October, lowering the water level below the returns. Unfortunately, when I peeked under the cover last week the pool was nearly empty.

I would love to hear from anyone else who might have had a similar experience, as I'd like to have some background knowledge before contacting pool repair companies. My biggest question is, is it possible to repair the liner in a situation like this or is full replacement the only option?

Hi, welcome to the forum! I think the entire deep end of the liner is probably brittle from the chlorine granuals sitting there. I had that happen to my first above ground. Yours is thicker linner maybe they could seam in a big bottom piece, but ask how much it would be compared to full replacement. Probably better replace whole thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.