Cleaning and maintaining tumbled travertine

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

Hope this is in the right forum section since I did not see another section for a topic of this nature - your help is appreciated.

We have a tumbled travertine installed in a Versailles pattern around pool and outside kitchen area. It is an ivory color and with a lot of moisture in West Houston, there has begun some staining of dark colors in the pitted areas, which I am sure it mold.

When the PB contractors installed the plaster/pebblesheen, I came home and a guy was using a power washer to "wash off" any plaster residue from areas around the pool. The idiot was using a power-washer that was 3500psi, thus blowing out all of the natural material in the travertine decking. This is the softer material that is formed in the crevices and smaller holes of the travertine. I immediately stopped him and you can see the differences in the stone that was blasted and the stone that was not. Some larger holes and other are now forming dark mold.

My goals are as follows

1. Properly clean the entire area w a 500-600psi and remove mold and other loose debris [Is there a none harsh, not acid based chemical that can help w this process??

2. Once the surface and holes are all cleaned-out and now pristine again, what can I use to fill the larger holes that will match as close a possible to the travertine, and if it weathers, they both weather the same [filled-hole and travertine]?

Once (2) above is done, is there anything else you recommend? I do not want to seal the stone except the coping. I do not mind an annual cleaning of a light power-washing or other.

Lastly, some of the polymeric sand used has turned dark and moldy. What do you suggest I do for these areas?

I am looking at 500sqft near the pool which 1/2 was blasted. Another 700sqft to clean that is in a covered & transition area. I just want to clean this and fill a few natural holes that are too large and keep getting debris in them.

if you have any questions, pls let me know? The pool water is CL based, not salt for the obvious reasons. No acids or harsh chemicals of any kind can be used.

As always, thank you very much for your feedback. You guys are great.

Regards,
tstex

It would be helpful if you could post pics of the areas you are referring to. That way we can see what needs to be done. I'm sure one or more of our more knowledgable members will be along shortly to help. You can use photobucket or something similar to post pics. Just copy and paste the IMG.

Thanks - I'm on the road, but I believe this is pretty straight-forward.

Looking for a stone/masonry experts that routinely use the appropriate cleaning products for outdoor tumbled travertine that is not acid/bleach/etc or possess other damaging chemical-based ingredients, but is a neutral pH-product that is good for porous tumbled travertine. Want to remove black and dark mold in creviced areas and prepare the deeper holes [substrate] for bonding agents that can fill larger voids of the travertine to reduce both discoloration and debris accumulation.

So, the correct cleaning agent/process, then once clean, the correct product to match the travertine. The color is an off-white. It is not sealed, except for the travertine coping and the top the spa's and column heads. None of these areas need filling. It is the travertine pavers in the decking, transition & covered areas. Hope this helps.

thank you,
tstex

What about OxiClean and a stiff Tampico brush? OxiClean is nothing more than sodium percarbonate which breaks up into peroxide and washing soda when added to water. The pH will be alkaline but that should be ok for any stone surfaces.

For sealing you can try to find Prosoco brand sealers or Dry-Treat product line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks JoyN.

Read couple of diff articles & bleaches & abrasives are not recommended..OxiClean fell into a "no use for travertine", but is great in alot of other Ap's...

Here's one such article if you scroll down:
TRAVERTINE CLEANING - Texas Floor Restoration

Good read.

One of the many reasons why I'm very glad to not have travertine anywhere in my home....waaaay to finicky a stone to have to deal with. I'll wait until all the kids are out of the house before I consider travertine ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.