Remodel Prep & PB Selection

Dec 18, 2015
Valrico, FL
What is the proper preparation to be performed to our marcite pool? Is there any difference in the prep if we plan to go with Pebble Tec, StoneScapes, or quartz?

Since pool builders do not provide the names of the sub-contractors who will do the pool install, how can we feel confident of the quality of the job?

I would ask to see some pools each PB has done. Talk to the people and ask them if they would use the PB again. Go from there.

As for how they prep the old plaster for the new plaster I am not sure BUT think they chip the old plaster off before the shoot the new stuff. I do think some will only chip out around the lights, returns, skimmer, etc. The rest I think they just score so the new plaster will stick. Of course it would cost more to chip the whole old plaster out but.............in the end it might be worth it.

Do some reading and searching (the search button on the home page directs all searches to TFP!) to find some older threads about remodels. I bet that will help you a lot to see how others had it done!

I would love to see a picture of your current pool. Please??

Kim

Depending on the contractor and the condition of the existing pool there are multiple way to prep the surface. A chip out removes most of the existing plaster, often used when the existing plaster has de-bonded ( is hollow) from the gunite or has been replastered multiple times. The plaster is mostly chipped out exposing the original gunite, and the new plaster is applied over the exposed gunite surface. Water jetting and sandblasting are typically used when the plaster is soft with little or no debonding and the contractor feels that a chip out is not needed. Both of these methods remove the soft plaster, in some cases down to the gunite, and a bond coat is typically applied. Acid washing and scarring the plaster are used when the existing plaster surface is not soft or debonded. The acid wash or scarring roughens the surface and a bond coat is applied. Sandblasted, water jetting, acid washing and scarring all involve chipping around lights. pipes, and under the tile so the new surface finishes flush. I think that the best method is the one that properly prepares the pool for replaster, with as little damage to the gunite as possible. The key is "properly prepares the pool".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.