Help! Another Newbie with Green Pool

bigdog12

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
SC
HEEELLLPP!!!!
I've just joined and if my grass will look like my pool, I'll have the best yard on the block. Pool is GEEEN. Added 6# of BurnOut Extreme yesterday morning and 5 gal of 6% bleach last pm. FC level is ZERO this am. Used a copper algeacide 3 days ago. HELP!!. Pool is 43,500gal/in-ground/sand filter/vinyl
Bigdog12

Re: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis

Welcome to the forum. You need to read the first post in this thread very carefully. It will tell you how to clear your pool.

In a nutshell, you're gonna' need lots more chlorine.

There are several other articles in pool school that will help you understand pool water basics and get your water clean.

I suggest you not waste any more money on any type of algaecide.....they are very inneffective in your situation.

Hi, and welcome.

I would recommend you visit Pool School and read all the articles there, and then read them again. After awhile the information will sink in.

The best thing you can do right now is read the entire article on defeating algae and take the recommended steps, which involve the use of liquid chlorine - not algaecide and not Burnout Extreme.

Like Dave said, you are going to need alot more chlorine!

Please read the article "Before You Post".

p.s. when in doubt, start a new topic with your issue rather than adding on to an existing thread. Thanks!

bigdog12 said:
HEEELLLPP!!!!
I've just joined and if my grass will look like my pool, I'll have the best yard on the block. Pool is GEEEN. Added 6# of BurnOut Extreme yesterday morning and 5 gal of 6% bleach last pm. FC level is ZERO this am. Used a copper algeacide 3 days ago. HELP!!. Pool is 43,500gal/in-ground/sand filter/vinyl
Bigdog12
Read replys and article on "Turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis." Thanks to all. Do I have to do anything special since I added copper algaecide 5 days ago. Just bought a Leslie's DPD Chlorine Pool Test Kit and 25 gal of Clorox. Pool: FC=0 CYA=40 pH=7.2 TA=140. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!

Re: the algaecide...no, it probably won't do much for your situation. I wouldn't recommend using it in the future, it can stain your pool and turn blonde hair green, (and little white dogs green too :wink: )

Start following the steps in the article, use the Pool Calculator to figure out your dosing.

About your kit...you need the FAS-DPD test to supplement what you bought. You can order it here.

I'm afraid you'll have a difficult time defeating your swamp without this test. :goodjob:

Ok, thanks for all the help thus far. I've got the TFT test kit and I'm about to get started on "The Swamp." While I was out searching for a FAS-DPD test kit locally ( I ended up buying it from your site), I told the poolstore guy of my plans to follow your advice using bleach (according to Pool Calculator, FC to be 15ppm for regular algae and 24ppm for mustard algae - I'm planning on going for 24ppm). He said that this would increase my Total Dissolved Solids and damage my vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this? Any alternate suggestions or am I being "Stored"?

There are little bits of truth in what they said, though overall it is very misleading.

Shocking the pool, using either our suggestions or the pool store suggestions, will both increase the total dissolved solids (TDS) by very nearly the same amount. They also failed to mention that increasing TDS is not a problem at all.

Likewise, any source of chlorine can potentially damage the liner. Used properly bleach is no more of a risk than any other source of chlorine. The only issue with bleach is to avoid pouring full strength bleach directly onto the liner. Bleach should be poured into the water in front of a return so it mixes in quickly. It is actually easier to damage a liner with dichlor, which will sometimes settle to the bottom and sit directly on the liner.

Pool stores tend to say bad things about bleach because they don't sell it. They want you to use something they sell so they can make some money.

bigdog12 said:
Ok, thanks for all the help thus far. I've got the TFT test kit and I'm about to get started on "The Swamp." While I was out searching for a FAS-DPD test kit locally ( I ended up buying it from your site), I told the poolstore guy of my plans to follow your advice using bleach (according to Pool Calculator, FC to be 15ppm for regular algae and 24ppm for mustard algae - I'm planning on going for 24ppm). He said that this would increase my Total Dissolved Solids and damage my vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this? Any alternate suggestions or am I being "Stored"?

Thanks again!! Saved a lot and learned a lot reading your forum..thought I would send part of what I saved to you. Thanks again and will refer my friends to your site. How did frustratedpool mom know that I have a little white dog? :lol:

bigdog12 said:
Thanks again!! Saved a lot and learned a lot reading your forum..thought I would send part of what I saved to you. Thanks again and will refer my friends to your site. How did frustratedpool mom know that I have a little white dog? :lol:

LOL - I was talking about my dog Bandit... :wink: He's not total white....but when I was having copper issues he was definetly yellow-green. :shock:

frustratedpoolmom said:
bigdog12 said:

LOL - I was talking about my dog Bandit... :wink: He's not total white....but when I was having copper issues he was definetly yellow-green. :shock:

Maybe it was in his green stage that he developed the Napoleonic Complex...cuz the other dogs in the neighborhood were picking on him... :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
LOL! Now that explains it.... :hammer:
Pool looks much better after 150 gal of bleach, keeping FC=24 for 3 days and a bleach splash to the eye causing an ER visit with 1 liter of saline drizzled on my eye (please put note in Pool School article to wear goggles or be wary of splashes :hammer: ). The pool is light blue and hazy. Is it better to floc pool or maybe change the sand? The last sand change was 5 yrs ago. I have back washed the pool everyday for one week

Sorry to hear of your eye injury....

It takes a while after all the algae is dead for sand filters to clear it.

A couple things to check, make sure your sand has not channelled -
Are you backwashing because of PSI increase- or you think you need to? Check the return flow if you aren't sure if you need to - often people backwash too much at the end stage of algae blooms....when actually dirty sand "filters better"...go a couple more days - make sure it's running 24/7 - and if you still don't see improvement you can try a little DE in the filter - there's an article in pool school on how to do that. You should see visible improvement every day.

Some people like floc, its an expensive option, that really isn't required but its up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.