Does my pool need two LED color lights?

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
We are in the final stages of planning and the builder has only estimated one LED color light for our 20x40 rectangle pool. I was thinking it would be necessary to have two lights but he said they usually only do two lights for the L-shape pools. Our pool goes from 3.5 ft down to 6ft. I was wondering if anyone had something similar and if they have any advice on number of lights needed. Each light is about $550 so I don't want to spend if I don't need to.

dkite, I'd spend the $550 now like everyone is recommending as it's not really that much when you think of the whole project.
Nothing worse than having a nice new pool and wishing you'd have done "X" after it's all done. That size really needs two.

I have a 45 x 25 (roughly) built in the mid 80's with one light well midway on the long side and one light in the corner spa. converted to LED a couple years ago (as well as converting the 120v wiring to 12v) and never regretted it. pool lights up very nicely with exception of some darkening towards deep / shallow ends on the same long wall as the light well. Pool still looks great at night- i get lots of compliments - but if I were building this size pool new I'd spec two lights in the large area as mentioned.

BTW anyone looking for high quality pool LED lights at a much more reasonable price than Pentair (highway robbery!) please see the info I posted on this thread page. Only difference with these is you'll end up with more money in your pocket- have had their lights installed for 2yrs now not a single issue and super bright. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/109485-Return-on-Investment-for-LED-Lighting

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can see my pool in my sign (My pool link). I have three of the 3-inch type LED lights that go along one side of the pool. Works very well. Also note that if you chose to get color-changing lights, the darker colors (purple, red, etc) don't travel as far or light-up the pool as much, so that may influence your decision as well.

BTW anyone looking for high quality pool LED lights at a much more reasonable price than Pentair (highway robbery!) please see the info I posted on this thread page. Only difference with these is you'll end up with more money in your pocket- have had their lights installed for 2yrs now not a single issue and super bright. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/109485-Return-on-Investment-for-LED-Lighting

Looks pretty interesting, but seems to only help those with screw-in light types. Any relief for those of us using the Pentair SAM/SAL, or other pool-branded lights? It's nice to be able to control the lights from the remote and/or pool controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.