Question: Glass Mosaic Tile. The Good and the Bad?

platipus

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2015
Houston, TX
So we're trying to pick tile for the waterline and the perimeter overflow spa (these maybe be the same or different depending on what we decide to do on the spa). Our builder will do glass without question, but is really trying to make sure we understand the potential issues with it versus ceramic. Curious on the group consensus for the following:

#1 - In the Spa, they say that some glass mosaic can be sharp on the edges. So if you are sliding your posterior over a seat or wall corner, it's possible you could pick up a sharp edge more easily than with ceramic.

#2 - Glass tiles are more fragile to breakage from dropping something on them and again, they can create a cutting hazard if that happens.

#3 - Glass tile may be more difficult to maintain than ceramic, specifically in areas that are prone to hard water staining, like an overflow spa if it is not run 7x24. Is ceramic easier to maintain?

#4 - And this is my own question more related to small mosaic pattern rather than just glass specifically. Is 1x1 or even .75x.75 mosaic on the waterline more difficult to maintain from a scrubbing perspective? Is the extra grout an issue when compared to larger traditional waterline tile?

Thanks!
plat.

1. Depending on the mosaic and the size of the glass yes they can have sharp edges. I would use a 1"x1" glass instead of a mosaic pattern. 2. Glass tile requires a different blade to cut than ceramic tile, also the edges of the glass when cut are not as smooth as a cut ceramic. 3. Ceramic tile can be bead blasted to remove hard water stains, the glass beads will pit the glass, causing it to look hazy. There are other ways to clean glass tile like blasting with baking soda but the cost is usually more. 4. The more grout joints that you have the harder the tile will be to keep clean. This is the reason that most remodeled pools, in Vegas ( very hard water), that had a mosaic or smaller tile will switch to a 6"x6". Less grout joints easier to keep clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Picture above is a mosaic on the floor of pool, very sharp and not pleasant to walk on. The beauty of the turtle is way beyond the practical use in a pool.

Attachments

• mosaic turtle.jpg
    mosaic turtle.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 415
Here are my thoughts.

I love glass and currently have 1x1's as the waterline tile and on the perimeter overflow spa.

The 1x1s (or smaller) can be troublesome. Typically, small glass tile's use some type of mesh backing to keep the tile together. Regardless of how thorough the installation method is, the surface area that makes contact with the thinset is greatly reduced because a.) its a 1x1 to begin with and b.) 60% of the adherence is to the mesh, not the tile.

The result of this is they are more prone to falling off. And if improper thinset and installation methods are used, the entire installation could fail. If you went with 1x1, its not unreasonable to assume you'd be replacing about 20 tiles annually. In specific, the overflow on the spa with constant moving water is much more susceptible to the tile popping off.

That being said, if I could do it all over again, I would go with a glass tile made in America, 2x2 as the very smallest, and would ensure its face mounted with paper (no mesh backing). If you are looking for a product like this, google lightstream glass tile. You will pay for it dearly tho ;)

That being said, if I could do it all over again, I would go with a glass tile made in America, 2x2 as the very smallest, and would ensure its face mounted with paper (no mesh backing). If you are looking for a product like this, google lightstream glass tile. You will pay for it dearly tho ;)

My wife and I stumbled across their tile quite some time ago. Some amazing portfolio glamour shots from them....

As I am doing some additional reading now, the paper face mounting option seems to be the way to go. Stories of mold on the mesh or mesh dissolving with no thinset adhesion occurring to the actual glass tile.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paper faced is definitely the way to go. You should also ask your builder if they will install w/ a moisture barrier. Glass manufacturers "highly" recommend or even require moisture barrier for warranty. My opinion (just opinion) on all the concern over glass tile popping off is installation without moisture barrier in a high freeze/thaw area. Water gets behind the tile, freezes, and pop! I installed mine with hydroban and I have had 0.0 tiles pop off in 1.5 years.

#1 - In the Spa, they say that some glass mosaic can be sharp on the edges. So if you are sliding your posterior over a seat or wall corner, it's possible you could pick up a sharp edge more easily than with ceramic.

not an issue for us ... no damaged posteriors

#2 - Glass tiles are more fragile to breakage from dropping something on them and again, they can create a cutting hazard if that happens.

again, no issue for us

#3 - Glass tile may be more difficult to maintain than ceramic, specifically in areas that are prone to hard water staining, like an overflow spa if it is not run 7x24. Is ceramic easier to maintain?

not a problem here .. but not sure about the whole "hard water" thing as we do not have hard water

#4 - And this is my own question more related to small mosaic pattern rather than just glass specifically. Is 1x1 or even .75x.75 mosaic on the waterline more difficult to maintain from a scrubbing perspective? Is the extra grout an issue when compared to larger traditional waterline tile?

sorry, can't offer much help here ... no stains at 1.5 yrs. Grout lines are very thin on 1x1.

#1 reason for going with glass tile ... it's gorgeous!
#1 reason for not going with glass tile ... it's expensive!

I wanted to go with glass but my builder who was a pool service person for 16 yrs prior to starting his own PB business recommended against it. He stated that you have to be very careful when cleaning them or they will get scratched up and become dull. I asked two other independent pool cleaning companies about glass tile and they said the same thing. So I went with ceramic, don't get me wrong the glass tiles are beautiful and are very popular on this forum. This is just what I was told by a few folks in the biz.

We are going with a combination of 1x2 at the waterline and 1x1 on the spillway and spa seat. Every other tiles is pre-mottled so it will hide some of the discoloration if it occurs.

The guy at Mastertile said that it is absolutely critical to get the correct thinset and grout for the glass tiles. Much more important than the paper vs. mesh debate. and of course the tile setter is critical...For What its Worth

IMG_0446_zpsabhmz7un.jpg

Pretty!!! BLING!!

I have to say what you say about the skill and such will be VERY important with glass.

I have a friend who put glass tile as a back splash in her kitchen. Her husband "I can do that. There is nothing to it." Welllllll they are having to take it all out and redo. :( You can see through the glass. He missed quite a few places and the mesh shows through and you can see many grove marks from the trowel. It is going to end up costing MORE now than if they had paid someone as they have to buy the tile again. So skill is very important!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.