HELP....CLUELESS......Pump running but no pressure......

Feb 2, 2016
Chesapeake
So I have an inground 25000 gallon saltwater pool.

here is my issue:
Pressure is running high on the filter, barely any circulation coming out if any......the "no flow" light is on in my panel box. If I do a backwash and then turn back to filter it runs great for a while then then slowly the flow dies off.....still shows high pressure on the filter....I cleaned the filter out the other day to try to remedy this and still have the same issue......

Re: HELP....CLUELESS......Pump runnning but no pressure......

sounds like you have a sand filter, could we get some more info on your equipment setup...

Have you tried a deep cleaning if it is a sand filter?

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

about half way down are a couple videos :)

I agree that the problem is probably with the filter.

What type is it?
Sand: see Casey's post.
Diatomaceous: did you add new DE?
Cartridge?

Pictures and info would really help.

Welcome to TFP!

Often a rapidly clogging filter is caused by an algae bloom. Even if the water isn't green. You can raise the FC to 10ish and Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is algae in the water consuming chlorine. If yes, then time to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Soooooo .......the saga continues.....This morning I wake up to my elderly mom who lives with us saying the level in the pool was droping and she turned the pump off......there was a large puddle of water around the pump filter area when I went outside and I couldnt tell where it was coming from....the level in the pool dropped too low to start teh pump again spo I had her turn the hose on to fill it while I went to work......I will look at it this afternoon when I get home to see where the water is going.....ugh.....I think I might just get a load of soil and fill it in then plant grass.....LOL

truly appreciate the input guys!!!!

Welcome to the forum Dropbackking :wave:

There are times the dumptruck of dirt and some rolls of sod do seem like the easier way to go but a nice cool splash in the pool once it's running right will blow those thoughts away.

Pictures of the water and the equipment pad would be helpful as would the actual numbers. When you say it's "high" we don't have a clue how high that is or what "normal" for your system is either.

Your pool and it's equipment info is necessary. It's handy if you add it once to your signature in your profile and then it's always there anytime you post. Instructions here - > Pool School - Getting Started

Are you testing your own water and what are you using ??

Can you post some recent water analysis numbers :testresults:

If I understand correctly it sounds like your pump is running, your pressure gauge on the filter goes up when you turn the pump on but you are getting what seems to be very little pressure on the water that is returning to the pool. Is this correct?

Based on this it would seem that the pump is pulling water from the pool fine and passing it to the filter. However there appears to be an issue with the water returning to the pool. Is this correct?

If so we will need to start troubleshooting the equipment and plumbing after the pump. My first thought is to check if you have any valves that are closed. Are you able to provide any pictures of your equipment area? This will help us identify possible areas where the issue may be and to help troubleshoot.

In regards to the water around the equipment hopefully this came from a pressure relief valve on your filter, if not we will need to identify where the water is coming from as well.

When I get home this evening I will take a look at what the situation is currently. As I stated prior I should have enough water in the pool to turn the pump on again and see what the deal is. When we bought the home it came withthe pool and it appears there are a few "issues" we were left to deal with. I am not sure what the pressure should be on the filter gauge, I just know it was at the red indicator. I took the filter apart the other day when we first started having the issue to clean the grids and they were dirty so I cleaned them , inspected them and put it all back together......added the DE back through the pool basket strainer and everything ran fine for a few hours then the isssue returned....the water pressure went to non existant at the pool and then I tried the back wash on the valve for about 30 seconds then back to filter and it seemed to run fine........this morning woke up to the pool level low, the massive puddle and the pump not pumping of course due to water level and or the other issue.....

That dump truck full of dirt is looking mighty nice....LOL

Like I said I will figure out some things this afternoon and let you all know what I find.....

I added everything to my signature....can you guys see it????

Yup, the info's there. If you get a chance letting us know the pumps power or model #, same with the filter when you have a chance.

Is there any chance you might be adding too much DE back in after your backwash ??

What is the lowest the pressure is right after you backwash and what are you calling high ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

ok....so last night it stormed all night but when I got home I turned everything on and it wouldnt pump
turned pump off
I checked the strainers and emptied what little was there
turned the valve to back wash for about 20-30 seconds then turned off.....WHATS THE NORMAL TIME FOR A BACKWASH??
I then switched to filter and turned the pump back on and it ran hard and fast for a good few minutes I noticed a lot of bubbles (normal?)
then the pressure of the water stream slowly dies out at the pool

lowest pressure just after back wash=9.5
then builds rapidly to= 26
then steadys just below the red at or near 26
Red is set at 30 (is this corrrect?)
Green arrow is set at or just below 20 (is this correct?)

pump model SP2607X10

poolsetup.jpg

ok.....so what are the two smaller gray pipes to the right?
two lines coming into the strainer and then to the pump I am guessing are from the skimmer and the pool drain at the bottom in the deep end? Why does one have a valve(seems to have a broken handle)????
what is the one single pipe to the right of those??? (clean out???)
water comes into the strainer at the pump then out the top to the valve out the top of the valve into the filter through the interior filters then out the bottom then to the salt cell then the one pipe splits into two to feed the jet at the shallow end and the one at the deep end??

again forgive my lack of knowledge.....and THANK YOU for your guidance

I cant see the pipes returning to the pool in great detail but it does not look like there is a valve there that can be opened or closed. This would leave two main areas that could be causing the high pressure in the filter and the lower return pressure to the pool, these would be the filter itself or the a blockage in the pipes returning to the pool.

What I recommend doing is once you have the pump up and running again (most likely needs to be primed with a hose for a few minutes), wait for the pressure to rise again and feel the water returning to the pool. Then turn off the pump and move your multi-port valve to recirculate. This will bypass the filter entirely and just move water through the pipes. Feel the water returning to the pool again to see if there is a difference, and again after a few minutes to confirm that there is no change.

If it feels like you have good pressure returning to the pool now then the issue is with the filter and we can begin troubleshooting.

One of the most common issues with increased pressure at the filter is dirty grids or way to much DE. The grids are made of cloth and the DE forms a layer over the cloth to filter the water. The cloth can also trap dirt in the fabric which will not allow water through and as a result pressure can build up. To resolve you would actually need to clean the grids, most likely overnight by soaking them in hot water and laundry detergent. If you do this make sure to thoroughly rinse the grids before putting them back in to make sure you are not introducing soap/foam into the pool.

DE filters come in different sizes measured in sqft. For example my DE filter is 60 sqft and I put in the correct amount of filter media (DE or DE alternative) as described on the package for 60 sqft.

When backwashing you want to make sure you backwash until the water is clear and then rinse as well. At that point you will want to add only 80% of the described amount of DE.

Yes, most likely the suction lines are one for skimmers and one for bottom drain. Those ball valves always break after a couple of years, replace it with a Jandy or Pentair never lube 3 way valve.

The other pipe is probably for a pool cleaner. The two small lines are something else, like electric.

So the valve that has the "broken" handle.......what is that used for???

Ahhhh....so the "recirculate" takes the filter out of the equation!! I will try that and see if that could be a contributing factor.....Yes, I backwash till it is clear....ad DE? LOL.. Am I suppose to add it after every backwash?? Thank you for the youtube link that was stupid of me not to look that up prior.....but yes I added DE to the system after I cleaned the filters but not after the backwash.....and I will be checking all of that out today when I get home....its not raining or snowing anymore and I think the sun will be out for a few days......so wish me luck....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.