Plastic strip between tile and concrete coping?

Feb 1, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Hello! Our pool is very close to being done and I need some feedback/advice! I spent a great deal of time planning my raised wall with the glass tile, and even when speaking with my builder we decided to upgrade to copper waterfalls because I did not like the look of the white plastic waterfalls. Well, they did the tile and concrete coping a couple days ago and I noticed this white strip of plastic along the sides and top...which I mistakenly thought was temporary. Today I found out that it's permanent! I'm so upset...my builder says that ALL pools have this and there's nothing I can do...there's no other option. I'm having a hard time believing this! I can't believe that after all that planning and upgrading the waterfalls specifically to NOT have white plastic on my wall...it now has white plastic all around it! Also, the concrete coping is going to be a dark gray, so that's going to make it stand out even more.

Anyway...does anyone know...is this the only option? Is there anything I can about it? Can it be painted or even removed? I've scoured the internet trying to even see what this is called and some examples of pools with this and I can't find any.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_5268.jpgIMG_5272.jpg

Get some Krylon plastic paint in a rattle can, mask off the tile and coping and paint it to blend with either the tile, coping or just flat black to make it disappear. You'll still know it is there, but no one else will.

You can have them cut out the plastic strip, put backer rod in the gap between the pool shell and the decking. The grout companies make a flexible caulk that matches the grout colors, apply the caulk over the backer rod. Sika flex also makes products that can be used but they will not match your grout color.

You can have them cut out the plastic strip, put backer rod in the gap between the pool shell and the decking. The grout companies make a flexible caulk that matches the grout colors, apply the caulk over the backer rod. Sika flex also makes products that can be used but they will not match your grout color.

That will work but if you're not really skilled at caulking a large joint like that, it can turn into a real mess with the end result looking worse than the present condition.

That will work but if you're not really skilled at caulking a large joint like that, it can turn into a real mess with the end result looking worse than the present condition.
Agreed but that should not be an owner issue. That's something for the PB and tile man to work out.

I normally lean towards a builders side on pool disagreements but for him to say NOTHING else can be done fires me up. He should have that tacky looking strip taken down and the gap grouted with backer rod and poly sanded caulk as suggested above.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!! The guy that is coloring the concrete said he is going to color that plastic the same...so hopefully it'll blend in. That might last us awhile until maybe I can get someone to do a more detailed fix, which I'm not going to even bother asking our current pool guy to do. I don't have much faith that it'll get done right!

Hi there, we are getting ready to build our pool and I ran across this thread. I love your tile selections! Could you tell me what pool finish you selected to go with it and also could you tell me what is the color of the concrete you used for wall cap? Any completed pictures you would share? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.